DCF - The Disney Comics Forum

For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-29 19:07

Bence

Hungary HUN

New movie "Inception" = The Dream of a Lifetime?

The new movie by Christopher Nolan (director of The Dark Knight) will be released next summer. Am I the only one who feels this will have the same basic idea as Don Rosa's The Dream of a Lifetime? Here is the new trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66yLN6ML78M

#2 2009-12-29 21:12

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Re: New movie "Inception" = The Dream of a Lifetime?

Bence wrote:

You mean, because it's about someone having an adventure in someone else's mind? That idea has been used a thousand times, originating long before Don Rosa used it.

#3 2009-12-29 21:50

Roger North

United States USA

I have The Dream of a Lifetime in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion.  I think it was interesting that they had Donald interact with the younger Scrooge. This is one of Don Rosa's best stories.  I can't believe that someone has made a movie out of it.

#4 2009-12-29 21:59

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Roger North wrote:

I have The Dream of a Lifetime in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion.  I think it was interesting that they had Donald interact with the younger Scrooge. This is one of Don Rosa's best stories.  I can't believe that someone has made a movie out of it.

Neither can I, Roger.

#5 2009-12-29 22:56

Bence

Hungary HUN

Lars Jensen wrote:

Bence wrote:

You mean, because it's about someone having an adventure in someone else's mind? That idea has been used a thousand times, originating long before Don Rosa used it.

There is more similarity then just having an adventure in someone else's mind. Do you remember the scene in the comic where cars suddenly apper in the Australian desert? Compere that to the scene in the trailer where a train appers in the middle of a street.

(And no, I don't think that Nolan read the comic, I just wanted to point out the similarity between the two.)

#6 2009-12-29 23:04

Coolwater

Germany DEU

Lars Jensen wrote:

That idea has been used a thousand times, originating long before Don Rosa used it.

Rosa himself, in his comment on "The Dream of a Lifetime" in the last Lo$ edition, explains that he got the idea for that story from a French fan; and that his jaw hit the ground when he watched the movie "The Cell" some years later and found its basic plot similar to that of "The Dream of a Lifetime". That Frenchman had sent the idea to Rosa one month after "The Cell" came into the cinemas, says Rosa.

»Die Unfähigkeit Donalds zur Erkenntnis seiner Klassenlage und zu ihrer Änderung liegt in seiner verkrüppelten Sexualität begründet.«

(Grobian Gans, Die Ducks. Psychogramm einer Sippe, Gräfelfing 1970)

#7 2009-12-29 23:16

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Bence wrote:

Lars Jensen wrote:

Bence wrote:

There is more similarity then just having an adventure in someone else's mind. Do you remember the scene in the comic where cars suddenly apper in the Australian desert? Compere that to the scene in the trailer where a train appers in the middle of a street.

(And no, I don't think that Nolan read the comic, I just wanted to point out the similarity between the two.)

I could also compare it to the scene of a tramp steamer appearing in the Gobi desert in the 1980 version of Steven Spielberg's movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". The concept of something familiar appearing in an unusual place wasn't born in 2002.

#8 2009-12-30 03:42

Roger North

I'm glad you agree Lars.

#9 2009-12-30 16:08

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Roger North wrote:

I'm glad you agree Lars.

Thanks, Roger.

#10 2009-12-31 15:19

Roger North

United States USA

You're Welcome Lars.  I do remember him saying that in his notes.

#11 2010-05-07 22:57

Bence

Hungary HUN

New trailer, more similarities: http://wbads-98.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbmovie … /cobb3.ogv
- Using a machine to enter someone's dream.
- Entering someone's dream to steal a secret.
- You don't have a big enough gun? Just dream a bigger one!

I will love this movie! wink

#12 2010-07-18 19:50

Bence

Slovenia SVN

Lars Jensen wrote:

Bence wrote:

Just seen the movie today. It looks like there are FAR more similarities than just "having an adventure in someone else's mind". What do you think?

#13 2010-07-18 20:29

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Bence wrote:

Lars Jensen wrote:

Bence wrote:

Just seen the movie today. It looks like there are FAR more similarities than just "having an adventure in someone else's mind". What do you think?

If you're asking me: I haven't seen it.

#14 2010-08-04 19:28

Kneon

United States USA

Hmm. The mainstream comics media has just picked up on this: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18079.html

They also post a link to a site hosting scans of all the Barks and Rosa comics. Tsk, tsk!

#15 2010-08-04 19:52

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School

United States USA
Website

That concept has been used many, many times.  I, myself, wrote a story about space aliens invading Donald's mind and trying to "force" him to do their bidding through dreams in his head.

Unless "Inception's" story is 75% the same as Rosa's, Rosa's lawyer wouldn't have a case.

Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

#16 2010-08-04 19:59

arthur
Disney Fan

United States USA
Website

Here is another article, with a page by page comparison:
http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/blin … s/?a=21055

Arthur

#17 2010-08-04 20:07

Bence

Slovenia SVN

...and an other one:  http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/03/inc … omic-book/ I already wrote about this 7 months ago! (See first post.) big_smile I am sure Nolan did not "steal" the plot of The Dream of a Lifetime but there are more in common between the movie and the comic than just a concept.

Robb_K wrote:

I, myself, wrote a story about space aliens invading Donald's mind and trying to "force" him to do their bidding through dreams in his head.

Oh, there are far more similarities, trust me! Robb and Lars, go and watch the movie, really, there is no point in arguing without actually knowing what the plot of the movie is!

#18 2010-08-04 21:47

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Bence wrote:

Oh, there are far more similarities, trust me! Robb and Lars, go and watch the movie, really, there is no point in arguing without actually knowing what the plot of the movie is!

I'm not arguing anything. Read the thread. Asking "Why do you believe that?" doesn't mean "You are wrong." It simply means that I would like to see arguments supporting your case. I wish people here would understand that.

And no, I can't be bothered to watch that movie.

#19 2010-08-04 22:03

Bence

Slovenia SVN

Ok, arguments supporting my case (I will quote http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/blin … s/?a=21055 just because I am not that great at English and I do not have much time right now to use a dictionary.):

Dream of a Life Time: The Beagle Boys procure a contraption that was invented for psychiatrists to examine dreams by entering their patients' dreams, and the Beagle Boys intend to use the contraption for a different, illegal purpose.
Inception: The team procures a contraption that was invented for soldiers to train in simulated combat and warfare, and the team intends to use the contraption for a different, illegal purpose.

Dream of a Life Time: The Beagle Boys use the contraption to enter into McDuck's dream so they can attempt to extract the secret combination to unlock McDuck's vault.
Inception: The team uses the contraption to enter into Saito's dream so they can attempt to extract an undisclosed idea from the vault in his head.

Dream of a Life Time: If the Beagle Boys are still in McDuck's dream when he wakes up, they will be trapped in McDuck's head forever.
Inception: If someone is killed while in the dream of a heavily sedated dreamer, he will be trapped in the dream in a state called "limbo" -- which can last several decades.

Dream of a Life Time: Scrooge McDuck is aware that he is in a dream, and his subconscious characters, the Dalton Boys, shoot at the Beagle Boys upon encounter.
Inception: Saito is aware that he is in a dream, and his subconscious security guards shoot at Dom and capture Arthur.

Dream of a Life Time: The dream world starts to "evaporate" and defies the laws of physics.
Inception: The dream world starts to crumble and bend and defies the laws of physics.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck falls in the dream, he wakes up.
Inception: When a dreamer dies in the dream (while not heavily sedated), he wakes up.

Dream of a Life Time: McDuck travels from Texas to Australia simply by starting a new dream.
Inception: The team travels from apparently Los Angeles to Canada simply by entering a new dream.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck's nephew clangs two mugs together loudly next to Donald's ear while he's dreaming, Donald dreams about mugs falling from the sky.
Inception: When Dom is dunked in water while dreaming, Dom dreams about water gushing at him.

Dream of a Life Time: When Donald Duck thinks about cars, a stream of cars busts through his dream.
Inception: When Dom thinks about a train, a train busts through the dream.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck hears popping while he's sleeping, he dreams about popcorn popping.
Inception: When Yusuf drinks too much champagne before sleeping, he dreams about it raining.

Dream of a Life Time: Scrooge McDuck re-dreams one particular memory over and over again, which involves him missing out on his love, Goldie, because he gets hit in the head by an ice block.
Inception: Dom re-dreams one particular memory over and over again, which involves him losing his love, Mal, because she kills herself.

Dream of a Life Time: Through his dream, Scrooge McDuck tries to make it up to Goldie by reliving a memory of the two of them together.
Inception: Through his dream, Dom tries to make it up to Mal by reliving a memory of the two of them together.

#20 2010-08-04 22:19

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Actually, Bence, I was wondering what your arguments were back in Post #1 when you first believed that "Inception" had the same basic idea as Don Rosa's "The Dream of a Lifetime". You then explained your argument in Post #5, and I replied that I thought it wasn't a convincing argument.

And a question: what kind of machine is the "Inception machine"? I tried looking it up on Wikipedia, but didn't find an explanation there.

#21 2010-08-04 23:29

arthur
Disney Fan

United States USA
Website

Lars Jensen wrote:

And a question: what kind of machine is the "Inception machine"? I tried looking it up on Wikipedia, but didn't find an explanation there.

The machine in the movie is carried around in a small silver suitcase. They don't talk about the technology much. If I remember correctly they mentioned something about the military having used the technology for years, but it is common knowledge in Inception that the technology exists.

Arthur

#22 2010-08-04 23:33

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School

United States USA
Website

Bence wrote:

Ok, arguments supporting my case (I will quote http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/blin … s/?a=21055 just because I am not that great at English and I do not have much time right now to use a dictionary.):

Dream of a Life Time: The Beagle Boys procure a contraption that was invented for psychiatrists to examine dreams by entering their patients' dreams, and the Beagle Boys intend to use the contraption for a different, illegal purpose.
Inception: The team procures a contraption that was invented for soldiers to train in simulated combat and warfare, and the team intends to use the contraption for a different, illegal purpose.

Dream of a Life Time: The Beagle Boys use the contraption to enter into McDuck's dream so they can attempt to extract the secret combination to unlock McDuck's vault.
Inception: The team uses the contraption to enter into Saito's dream so they can attempt to extract an undisclosed idea from the vault in his head.

Dream of a Life Time: If the Beagle Boys are still in McDuck's dream when he wakes up, they will be trapped in McDuck's head forever.
Inception: If someone is killed while in the dream of a heavily sedated dreamer, he will be trapped in the dream in a state called "limbo" -- which can last several decades.

Dream of a Life Time: Scrooge McDuck is aware that he is in a dream, and his subconscious characters, the Dalton Boys, shoot at the Beagle Boys upon encounter.
Inception: Saito is aware that he is in a dream, and his subconscious security guards shoot at Dom and capture Arthur.

Dream of a Life Time: The dream world starts to "evaporate" and defies the laws of physics.
Inception: The dream world starts to crumble and bend and defies the laws of physics.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck falls in the dream, he wakes up.
Inception: When a dreamer dies in the dream (while not heavily sedated), he wakes up.

Dream of a Life Time: McDuck travels from Texas to Australia simply by starting a new dream.
Inception: The team travels from apparently Los Angeles to Canada simply by entering a new dream.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck's nephew clangs two mugs together loudly next to Donald's ear while he's dreaming, Donald dreams about mugs falling from the sky.
Inception: When Dom is dunked in water while dreaming, Dom dreams about water gushing at him.

Dream of a Life Time: When Donald Duck thinks about cars, a stream of cars busts through his dream.
Inception: When Dom thinks about a train, a train busts through the dream.

Dream of a Life Time: When McDuck hears popping while he's sleeping, he dreams about popcorn popping.
Inception: When Yusuf drinks too much champagne before sleeping, he dreams about it raining.

Dream of a Life Time: Scrooge McDuck re-dreams one particular memory over and over again, which involves him missing out on his love, Goldie, because he gets hit in the head by an ice block.
Inception: Dom re-dreams one particular memory over and over again, which involves him losing his love, Mal, because she kills herself.

Dream of a Life Time: Through his dream, Scrooge McDuck tries to make it up to Goldie by reliving a memory of the two of them together.
Inception: Through his dream, Dom tries to make it up to Mal by reliving a memory of the two of them together.

Yes, it it clear that the two stories are very similar and have a lot of parallels.  Nevertheless, to prove in a court of law that Rosa's story was "stolen" to make "Inception" would be a difficult, if not impossible, undertaking.  It may well be that Inception's author did read Rosa's story, and then got "inspired" to write his story.  I'll concede that.

Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

#23 2010-08-05 00:07

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

arthur wrote:

Lars Jensen wrote:

The machine in the movie is carried around in a small silver suitcase. They don't talk about the technology much. If I remember correctly they mentioned something about the military having used the technology for years, but it is common knowledge in Inception that the technology exists.

But we don't learn what kind of machine it is and what the machine's purpose actually is?

#24 2010-08-05 00:12

Bence

Slovenia SVN

Robb_K wrote:

Nevertheless, to prove in a court of law that Rosa's story was "stolen" to make "Inception" would be a difficult, if not impossible, undertaking.  It may well be that Inception's author did read Rosa's story, and then got "inspired" to write his story.  I'll concede that.

You are absolutely right here but do not forget that I never wrote that Rosa's story was stolen. I never wrote that because I do not believe so. When I opened this thread back in December, after watching the teaser trailer of the movie I thought the similarities were all just coincidences. Now, after watching the movie I think Christopher Nolan (the writer-director of the film) maybe actually read the comic and was inspired by it (he started writing the script way before the release of Dream of a Lifetime, but he still could have been inspired by it). I would love to hear what he has to say about this situation. Anyway, he was not stealing and I never intended to suggest that he was.

Lars Jensen wrote:

But we don't learn what kind of machine it is and what the machine's purpose actually is?

The machines original purpose in the movie is completely different. The similarities regarding the machine in the film and the comic: they are both basically a box that connects the dreamer with the people who enter his dream.

#25 2010-08-05 00:17

Morequack

United States USA

And by the same token, where did *Rosa* get his idea for the story??

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).