You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-24 16:56

cacou
Administrator
Website

Places in Duckburg/Calisota

Posts moved from another thread.

===== Mr Cleveland ====

BTW-what's the river that's by Duckburg?

===== Roger North ====

I believe that's the Tulebug River Mr Cleveland.

===== Robb_K =====

Roger North wrote:

I believe that's the Tulebug River Mr Cleveland.

The Duckburg River (largest/widest), The Tulebug River(narrower/probably shorter(tributary of Duckburg River)), and The Goose River (2nd widest) were each used by Barks.  The Goose River was only used in his "Pied Piper of Duckburg" bluelined scenario.  The other two were used frequently by him.  On my detailed maps of Calisota, Duck County and Duckburg City (and suburbs) (based solely on Barks stories), I place The Duckburg River starting in the high mountains of The Eagleclaw Wilderness, and running east to west through Duckburg, splitting the city almost in half, before emptying into Duckburg Bay (Pacific Ocean).  I have The Tulebug River starting in the mountains between Duckburg and Goosetown, and flowing through the southern part of Duckburg, near several of Donald's homes (different sites through the years), and emptying into Duckburg bay, south of The Duckburg River.

===== Ramapith =====
Interesting concepts, Rob. I've used both the Duckburg River and the Tulebug River in my own work; I'm partial to the Tulebug, if only because it strikes me as a more original name.

Now I have a question for you and others here. For some fifteen years, I've referred to Duckburg (in my stories/translations) as being located in "Webfoot County," and Donald's address as being "1313 Ducklake Lane." I don't believe I made either of these up—but I don't remember where I originally got them, either. Might be Barks, might not be; could be Egmont stories as published in 1980s Gladstone comics, as I was quite the aficionado at that time.
Does anyone have some idea from whence these names come?

===== Ramapith (II) =====

Wak! Never mind Webfoot County. On a sudden hunch, I checked Barks' story in WDC 133, and there it is.

A web search also shows me that you, Rob, once remembered a story that had *Gladstone* living on Ducklake Lane. Did you ever pin down which one that was?

===== Robb_K =====

ramapith wrote:

Interesting concepts, Rob. I've used both the Duckburg River and the Tulebug River in my own work; I'm partial to the Tulebug, if only because it strikes me as a more original name.

Now I have a question for you and others here. For some fifteen years, I've referred to Duckburg (in my stories/translations) as being located in "Webfoot County," and Donald's address as being "1313 Ducklake Lane." I don't believe I made either of these up—but I don't remember where I originally got them, either. Might be Barks, might not be; could be Egmont stories as published in 1980s Gladstone comics, as I was quite the aficionado at that time.
Does anyone have some idea from whence these names come?

If I'm not mistaken, Barks used (and portrayed) The Duckburg River much more than The Tulebug River (which also was mainly during his later years).

The 1313 address that I remember is Donald's house at 1313 Webfoot Walk.  That was where he lived in WDC 201, Barks' story in which Gyro paints The Duckburg River Red and "water blue", when Donald Dock's address changes to Donald Duck, because of stray water droplets.  Donald also lived on Quack St. and Oak Street (1949).  Unfortunately, I can't remember what story had Gladstone living on Ducklake Lane.

I remember The Tulebug River being used in the 1963 story in which Donald was a lifeguard at Tulebug River Beach.  He was saved from the rapids by The Jr. Woodchucks' Official Hound "Beach Boy"(WDC 276).

=====  Sirredknee =====
1313 Webfoot Walk is Donald's address in "The Secret of Atlantis". In WDC 201 it's 13 Quack Street. Maybe cacou could split this thread into two... [Note from Cacou: already done!]

#2 2008-12-02 13:56

cacou
Administrator
Website

Re: Places in Duckburg/Calisota

Here is a large map of Duckburg, courtesy of Die Zeit (via Eta Beta, http://www.dimensionedelta.net/)

http://dcf.outducks.org/contrib/img/resized_HHwbf4_5wklea.png

#3 2008-12-02 15:47

Charlie Brown

France FRA

The map is the result of a 13 year long study: http://www.donald.org/DD/DDSH/stadtplan/index.html
Every detail on the map can be proved by a Barks story.

Really great work! I ordered already a printed version at the website.

#4 2008-12-02 16:48

wpde

Germany DEU

Yeah, they're selling everything they can there...

I've created an account only to react on this topic. Just don't ever pay for this:

http://www.donald.org/DD/mm-index.html

It's useless and light years behind this:

http://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=de/MM

#5 2008-12-02 18:37

Charlie Brown

Germany DEU

wpde wrote:

It's useless and light years behind this

That's right. This is just for guys who don't have internet and only collect the German Micky Maus wink

But I think the map is worth buying. It's the only existing map of Duckburg based on (Barks) stories and not on fantasy. And it's brand new smile

#6 2008-12-02 19:27

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Charlie Brown wrote:

But I think the map is worth buying. It's the only existing map of Duckburg based on (Barks) stories and not on fantasy.

The Barks stories were made up too, you know.

#7 2008-12-02 20:04

Charlie Brown

Germany DEU

Lars Jensen wrote:

Charlie Brown wrote:

But I think the map is worth buying. It's the only existing map of Duckburg based on (Barks) stories and not on fantasy.

The Barks stories were made up too, you know.

I didn't know that. Perhaps that's why my travel agency can't book a flight to Duckburg wink

#8 2008-12-02 21:54

Roger North

United States USA

It's too bad the site is in Italian.  Is there an English version of this website?

#9 2008-12-02 22:21

JeffT

United States USA

I'd love an English version of that map myself.  I continue to be depressed that Donald and company are so unpopular in their country of origin and all the best stuff is in other languages (and mostly unavailable here).

#10 2008-12-03 01:20

cacou
Administrator

France FRA
Website

I think you mean this is in German, Roger, not in Italian! (and BTW thank you Charlie for giving proper sources for the poster)

#11 2008-12-03 13:44

timoro

European Union EU
Website

Great! This was actually and really published in Die Zeit? http://www.zeit.de/index

Timo

#12 2008-12-03 16:05

Charlie Brown

France FRA

#13 2008-12-03 16:18

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Unless I'm wrong, Rob Klein has made lots of Duckburg-related maps.

#14 2008-12-03 18:44

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School

United States USA
Website

That map by Wollina is just a geographical relief/area map.  It doesn't show the City of Duckburg or many land marks (only the largest, and the city boundaries of Duckburg (Entenhausen) and Goosetown(Ganseburg).

Duckburg, based on what Barks showed in his panels, was (is?) a middle-sized city (maybe 250,000 to 400,000 people?).  A complete street map of that city would show hundreds of streets.  I have made such maps (on a professional level (I studied City Planning at university), based on only Barks references in his text, and what he showed in his panel drawings. 

Unfortunately, I will not post them on The Internet, as I am still trying to sell them to a Disney Comics franchise for publication. 

But, I have drawn one street map of Duckburg city, three connecting suburban maps of Duckburg's suburbs in the north, east and south directions , another connecting map going further east (containing Swanville and Goosetown), as well as a regional map of Duck County (and its immediate envions in Goose Egg, Squawbunion and Squash Counties), and a map of the State of Calisota (all based on Barks' references (and nothing else)).

I have shown them (in person) to friends, which is how Lars saw them.  I don't want to e-mail them to people, in fear they will be intercepted and uploaded onto The Internet, or sold to a Disney Franchise by someone else.

Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

#15 2008-12-03 22:08

cacou
Administrator
Website

In the "Magic Hourglass", Duckburg seems to be a bigger city than usually depicted by Barks.

http://dcf.outducks.org/contrib/img/resized_RiO7WF_8slbaE.jpeg

The buildings shown here resemble skyscrapers that are usually found on the East coast (?).

#16 2008-12-03 22:09

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

And in case someone wonders: Rob's maps are really impressive.

#17 2008-12-04 08:31

Charlie Brown

France FRA

Lars Jensen wrote:

Rob's maps are really impressive.

I really would like to see them. I hope Rob finds a publisher soon!

#18 2008-12-04 11:22

Robb_K

United States USA
Website

Charlie Brown wrote:

Lars Jensen wrote:

Rob's maps are really impressive.

I really would like to see them. I hope Rob finds a publisher soon!

I showed them to both Egmont and Ehapa in 1989 and 1993, and both thought they looked like real maps of real cities and states, and that's why they turned them down.  They didn't think that the young readers would care about them (even with drawings of The Ducks outside the map area, pointing to places on the map that are key interest points (e.g. Donald's various houses, Daisy's house, Gladstone's house, Gyro's shop, Scrooge's Money Bin, The McDuck Building, Duckburg University, Town Square, Duckburg City Park, Wildwood Canyon, Daisy's Sister's house, The Duckburg River, The Tulebug River, etc., etc.).

But, I think my maps gave Egmont the idea to publish a "map" of Duckburg, in the early 1990s that was really a view of the city from above.  It was drawn by Spanish studio artists, and had a Spanish-style Bull Ring instead of football stadium, and the buildings looked like the Spanish-style stucco with Spanish tile roofs.  It looked like a mediterranean town rather than an American (or northern European(for that matter) middle-sized city.

I hope Sanoma Uitgevers (Dutch Disney) will publish the maps as double sized fold out posters, using my same "realistic style maps", with drawings all around the border as the characters pointing to the landmarks, also with drawings of those landmarks.  I hope that Mau Heymans will be the one to make the drawings.  If it gets published by them, and there is a favourable reaction to it, perhaps Egmont and some of the other publishers will publish it, too.

#19 2008-12-04 13:29

RancidDuck

United States USA

I've been wanting to post this before, and this seems like the perfect place.
This is the nine part map that Disney printed in their own run of comics in 1992.  I thought this might fit in well with this thread.
I scanned and pasted the nine parts into one.  Each section had a landmark in it. 

http://dcf.outducks.org/contrib/img/resized_lzbSVP_H3Ac4q.jpg

Here are the landmarks and the issue of each map piece:
Top Row
piece 1- DDA #25-Schoolhouse
piece 2- C&S #572-Scrooge McDuck's Mansion
piece 3- US #267-Donald's House
Middle Row
piece 4- DDA #26-Scrooge's Money Bin
piece 5- C&S #573-Town Square
piece 6- US #268-Gyro Gearloose's House
Bottom Row
piece 7- DDA #27-Flintheart Glomgold's Mansion
piece 8- C&S #574-Beagle Boys' Hideout
piece 9- US #269- Grandma Duck's Farm

Each map had a question about it, if you answered all questions right you would be entered for a chance to win Original Newspaper Comic Strip Art.
Every entry received a set of Electrostatic Stickers.   I didn't win the art, but I got the stickers.

"UNTIL I GET MAD I DON'T KNOW MY OWN BRAINS!" - DONALD DUCK

#20 2008-12-04 21:41

Robb_K

United States USA
Website

That map looks to have been produced at Disney Italia.  It looks a bit like Cavazzano's style.

#21 2008-12-05 15:02

Roger North

United States USA

cacou wrote:

I think you mean this is in German, Roger, not in Italian! (and BTW thank you Charlie for giving proper sources for the poster)

Thanks for correcting me cacou but it doesn't change the fact that I can't read the language.

I actually have all the issues with The Duckburg Map in them.

#22 2008-12-05 18:46

cacou
Administrator

France FRA
Website

Inducks attributes the art for the map above to Joe Pearson and Larry Mayer and gives it a K-code.

I think this art indeed looks more like something from the Studio Program or its successor in the 90s (the K-coded production).

#23 2008-12-06 18:21

ole damgaard
Paperzucum

Denmark DNK
Website

Definetely not an italian money bin, at least... where do you see the Cavazzano style in this, Rob?

He had complaints about life, but never any solutions.

#24 2008-12-07 03:11

Perico Librote

Spain ESP

There is another interesting map of Duckburg published in 1997 as a sticker poster. It was given as a gift in at least the Norwegian and Danish weeklies "Donald Duck & Co" and "Anders And & Co". I´ve read about it in "Calisota Online":
http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_onlin … mont2.html

The link for seeing the map doesn´t work, but I´ve found some pieces of the poster in the web, and i´ve joined them. This is the result:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/580/mapa2fb7.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/580/mapa2fb7.th.jpghttp://img180.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

You can see the landmarks on the link above. As Gilles R. Maurice said, the map includes Barksian references and typically Egmont countries stories references. I like it a lot!

#25 2008-12-20 06:24

MustangRockstar

United States USA

RancidDuck wrote:

I've been wanting to post this before, and this seems like the perfect place.
This is the nine part map that Disney printed in their own run of comics in 1992.  I thought this might fit in well with this thread.
I scanned and pasted the nine parts into one.  Each section had a landmark in it. 

Each map had a question about it, if you answered all questions right you would be entered for a chance to win Original Newspaper Comic Strip Art.
Every entry received a set of Electrostatic Stickers.   I didn't win the art, but I got the stickers.

Hehe I remember when they were doing that. As a kid, I remember being fascinated by the maps and seeing where locations were in relation to one another.

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).