DCF - The Disney Comics Forum

For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#276 2011-12-03 14:57

Roger North

Re: BOOM!'s DuckTales comics

Maybe so but a lot of people have been saying more negative things than positive things.  I don't agree with what they say but the fact is that a lot of people have been complaining about the material that Boom Studios publishes. I don't mind new material being published but at least with Gladstone and Gemstone a majority of the staff members are people who grew up on Disney Comics.  They actually cared about their readers unlike Boom Studios who were only in on it for the money. I heard that Whitman published some lousy stories but ever since they obtained the Disney Comics License a lot of people have saying how bad the material is. I mean yeah they brought back comic books based on some of the former Disney Afternoon shows but they could have done a better job with the classic characters. My verdict may not be fair but the facts are that a lot more people hated the Disney Comics that Boom Studios published than those that liked them. I think the same was true for Whitman. That's why I said Boom Studios is the Whitman of the 21st Century.

#277 2012-09-09 14:04

Charlie Brown

Germany DEU

I bought the trade paperback last week and finished reading it today. This is one of the worst "drawn" Disney comics I ever read. A lot of panels have characters that look like copied and upscaled on a cheap graphic program. I get the impression that Boom wanted to make some money with less effort before the end of it's Disney time.

I thought about throwing the book away, but perhaps I keep it as a historic item for this bad time.

#278 2012-09-09 20:20

kimba_1962
Website

Manduck wrote:

The cameo scene is kind of interesting.  I think the only ones on the cover of DuckTales #5 who didn't appear in the actual issue (or either new comic series) are Grizlikoff, Sara Bellum, Stegmutt, Neptunia and Pete.  But anyway I think they managed to get the entire DuckTales cast in the series.  So Bubba - and the Genie Duck - are finally acknowledged.  I honestly didn't care too much for either character, but I find it a little bothersome that Scrooge apparently abandoned two children he adopted.  I'd prefer it if they just were left out of the story completely.

Scrooge never (officially) adopted Genie-turned-boy.  I know that it SEEMED like it at the end of DT:TM, but I don't think adoption was ever explicitly referenced.

#279 2012-09-09 21:28

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

Well more-or-less. The Genie was living with them, they never explain what happend to him so we can asume he was living with Scrooge and Scrooge tell him he can call him "uncle"...

#280 2012-09-09 22:03

kimba_1962
Website

Mr. M wrote:

Well more-or-less. The Genie was living with them, they never explain what happend to him so we can asume he was living with Scrooge and Scrooge tell him he can call him "uncle"...

If you're right, then can we assume that Genie's room is in the attic or the garage, as the Nephews' was at the start of "Treasure of the Golden Suns"?  That seems to be Step 1 on the trip up the ladder...

:-)

#281 2012-09-09 22:51

Roger North

I have never seen the Genie anywhere outside the movie except for his cameo appearance in Dangerous Currency.

#282 2012-09-09 23:10

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

kimba_1962 wrote:

If you're right, then can we assume that Genie's room is in the attic or the garage, as the Nephews' was at the start of "Treasure of the Golden Suns"?  That seems to be Step 1 on the trip up the ladder...

:-)

I asume living in the cave in Scrooge's garden is step "zero".  It woudn't supprise me if Bubba is the lowest in Scrooge nephew hierarchy.

Wow, this technicaly make Scrooge living with SIX kids who refrence him as "uncle". I wonder did neighbors did ever found the whole thing suspicious and Scrooge got visit from the police or something...

ACTUALLY if there's one Issue of "Duck Tales" I would like to see would be a story betwen "DuckTales" and "QuackPack" (I always asume they are ment to be the same univers) where Donald finally gets back from navy and have to take boys back home... I just find something bizzarle sad about this idea . Boys would be happy to be back with Donald but at the same time they worry Scrooge will get lonely without them, they start to reminisce all the adventures they had together. This could make a very emotional and melancholic story...

#283 2012-09-09 23:12

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Mr. M wrote:

ACTUALLY if there's one Issue of "Duck Tales" I would like to see would be a story betwen "DuckTales" and "QuackPack" (I always asume they are ment to be the same univers)

They're not. IIRC, they were originally intended to... but they're not.

#284 2012-09-09 23:15

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

Lars Jensen wrote:

They're not. IIRC, they were originally intended to... but they're not.

Fair enough.
I DO remember an episode of "Quack Pack" when Donald did had to go back to the navy whcih appears to be a DuckTales refrence but I guess that's as far they went

#285 2012-09-09 23:36

Baar Baar Jinx

United States USA

Mr. M wrote:

I DO remember an episode of "Quack Pack" when Donald did had to go back to the navy whcih appears to be a DuckTales refrence but I guess that's as far they went

That particular episode ("All Hands on Duck") is an anomaly in that it featured anthropomorphic characters (including Admiral Grimitz) rather than humans. With its reference to Donald's navy career, it's clearly a direct sequel to DuckTales, unlike the series as a whole.  Did they have a leftover DuckTales script or something? I'm curious to learn the background of this unique episode.

#286 2012-09-10 00:24

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

I just seen it (hurray for you-tube) and I must say this looks like some odd link betwen "DuckTales" and "Quack Pack". Heck! Even the plot is similiar to the episode "All ducks on deck" (ironic..) where Donald lies to HD&L about being a great hero while in fact he is a failure... (here they replace the boys with Daisy) Plus we actually get a flashback showing him leaving the navy.
I guess since this is in fact "episode five" they wanted to make - even a symbolic - connection with "DuckTales" so kids woudn't get confuse why Donald isn't still in the navy or something.

I find the admiral character is especialy strange.. at one hand it appears they try to make it clear he is ment to be the same character (he play with a model ship, he is constant victim of Donald destructive behavior plus the fact his a dog-face character rather then human like the rest of the cast)  but at the same time he is way diffrent - he appears to be younger, more agresive, more of a bully (If not a insane and sadistic one) and way less sympathethic... But I guess you can argue that years and years of puting up with Donald antics made him a complitly diffrent person... Sadly in his case he turn from a ok guy into a villian

I still think its a shame they didn't try to have Scrooge or Gladstone guest star for a episode in "Quack Pack" since it was still set in Duckburg...  Oh, well...

#287 2012-09-10 14:07

Roger North

Yeah It is a pity that neither Scrooge or Gladstone appeared on Quack Pack. It would been cool to see Gyro on the show too.  Maybe even The Beagle Boys or Magica De Spell or even Flintheart Glomgold.  Maybe this is why I think the show Duckburg USA should be created. That show takes place roughly between Duck Tales and Quack Pack.

#288 2012-09-10 14:36

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

There were plans for such show? o_O

I always   hoped if  they will ever try to make another Duckburg-set show it would include characters like  Brigida, Rockerduck or Fethry...

Roger North wrote:

It would been cool to see Gyro on the show too.  Maybe even The Beagle Boys or Magica De Spell or even Flintheart Glomgold.

A Beagle Boy made once a cameo in "Quack Pack" episode, as a statue Donald use to train gourd dogs.

#289 2012-09-10 18:01

Baar Baar Jinx

Mr. M wrote:

Actually, that was the initial vision for Quack Pack (Donald returning from the navy and reclaiming care of the boys from Scrooge) until some Disney executives thought it made more sense to create a Donald Duck series based on the Donald Duck shorts rather than DuckTales or the Barks universe. Ergo, the human characters and Ludwig but no Scrooge, Gyro or Gladstone.  As mentioned, "All Hands on Duck" (and I guess that Beagle Boy cameo) are the execeptions to that rule.

#290 2012-09-11 01:42

Mr. M

Poland POL
Website

Too bad. Sounds like a good idea...  sad

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg89/scaled.php?server=89&filename=beaglekn.png&res=landing

I'm still puzzled (and disappointed) that Barks characters aren't use in animation more often which is a shame since shows like "Quack Pack", "Mickey Mouse Works" or even toddler-orienred "Mickey Mouse clubhouse"  could only benefit from having those chracters around and ignoring them feels like a big step back. 

Scrooge is by far the only character who is used from time to time (but even then we didn't seen him since the directed to DVD CGI movie "Mickey Twice upon Christmas" in 2005) and the city where Donald lives is still refrence as Duckburg... but Gyro, Magica or Gladstone waren't used since "DuckTales" [I'm not couting Magicas and Glomolds cameo in episode of "Darkwing Duck" and Gladstones in "House of Mouse"] Beagle Boys where only agian used in "The three Musketeers" [plus agian some cameos on "Bonkers", "Darkwing Duck" and examople above] and we never even got a animated version of characters like neighbor Jones not to mention some non-Barks characters many fans would love to see like Fethry or Brigida...
Seeing how many cartoons they manage to make with having only Donald, Daisy and the nephews around I'm pretty sure they could make as many whith those other characters as well...

BTW -> For years I was 100% sure VonDrake appear on "Quack Pack" ocasionally but I recently discoverd he was only in the first episode and then refrence in another one which is another shame as well...

#291 2012-09-11 15:19

Roger North

Oh Yeah but that's the only time A Beagle Boy was used on that show. It was 2004 when Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas was released.

#292 2013-02-15 17:25

Mr. M
Website

BTW -> Can GeoX make a full review of the DUCKTALES KA-BOOM story in his usual fashion? smile

That would be fun...

#293 2013-02-15 18:28

Roger North

That would be cool to see. Maybe he can do reviews of the Darkwing Duck stories too.

#294 2013-04-02 08:02

MustangRockstar

United States USA

Baar Baar Jinx wrote:

Mr. M wrote:

Actually, that was the initial vision for Quack Pack (Donald returning from the navy and reclaiming care of the boys from Scrooge) until some Disney executives thought it made more sense to create a Donald Duck series based on the Donald Duck shorts rather than DuckTales or the Barks universe. Ergo, the human characters and Ludwig but no Scrooge, Gyro or Gladstone.  As mentioned, "All Hands on Duck" (and I guess that Beagle Boy cameo) are the execeptions to that rule.

Quack Pack was long after Disney's television animation revolution peak. Frankly, there was a noticeable decline after Talespin, another a very big drop after Goof Troop and towards the end they were just so far behind the efforts of Warner Brothers animation of the same time period.

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).