For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#151 2011-11-03 08:22

Joakim Gunnarsson

Sweden SWE

Re: Fantagraphics to Publish Barks Library in English

There's a video of the first book on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 … mp;theater

Seems that the covers to the stories are reprinted in different parts of the book than next to the stories they belong to. And the one pagers etc have been moved to the back of the book instad of keeping the stories and covers from one issue together. Odd decision, me thinks. + that there are WDC stories in the DD book.
And isn't that the Daan Jippes re-drawn version of "Race to the South Seas"?

But it sure looks nice! smile

#152 2011-11-03 08:32

Richie

First 17 pages of "Lost In The Andes", available as downloable PDF!

Many, many photos -including a look at the Introduction and the Story Notes section- here!

Joakim Gunnarsson, you're right, the order for the stories is longer tales first, ten pagers afterwards, and one-pagers at the end.

I agree wholeheartedly, that video...I need this book more than I do oxygen! Okay, maybe not. Still. HYPE!

EDIT:

Fantagraphics, on the video's comments section, wrote:

"We are proud to say that this edition uses the re-discovered original Barks artwork for "Race to the South Seas" for the first time in 60 years! All of the stories are digitally recolored based on the original comic book coloring. Our goal was to recreate the look of the original comics as faithfully as possible from an artistic standpoint but with the crispness of modern printing technology"

Ah, to be young and filled with uncontrollable hype...

#153 2011-11-03 09:15

Charlie Brown

France FRA

Now, that I see these pictures, I can't wait to get this book! I looks great!
Does anyone know the release date? Fantagraphics does just say "November". I would like to pick it up before Thanksgiving.

P.S.: About the ordering of stories I will worry later wink

#154 2011-11-03 09:21

Richie

Charlie Brown, just to make a comparison, the previews for Mickey Mouse's: Trapped in Treasure Island were unveiled on October 12, and shipped to comic shops on October 25.

Then again, MM was available from Fantagraphics itself the moment the previews went online, which isn't the case here with Barks' book.

At any rate, the previews indicate that it shouldn't take long for the book to be released!

#155 2011-11-03 14:45

Coolwater

Germany DEU

Joakim Gunnarsson wrote:

And isn't that the Daan Jippes re-drawn version of "Race to the South Seas"?

But it sure looks nice! smile

The Jippes version of "Race to the South Seas" is well done and Barks-alike, very close to the original. It is absolutely okay to use it for a magazine reprint of the story. In a Carl Barks work edition, however, I would still prefer to see a scan from the original comic book, as it was done in the European Carl Barks Collection.

The re-drawn version of "Darkest Africa" is a complete mess. Not only that it was concocted by two artists of which one doesn't really look Barksic at all, but the re-drawn version is an even bigger censorship orgy than "Voodoo Hoodoo". I hope that Fantagraphics decides to use scans from the original comic book, I am not eager to cross the paths again with that patched-up Frankenstein of "Darkest Africa".

Anyway, it would be a good thing if Daan Jippes would re-draw the story completely again for future magazine reprints. And he should re-draw it one time absolutely close to the original, and then he should draw too some slightly censored alternative pages or panels for the case that in some countries the Disney publishers don't want to publish it in the original way.

»Die Unfähigkeit Donalds zur Erkenntnis seiner Klassenlage und zu ihrer Änderung liegt in seiner verkrüppelten Sexualität begründet.«

(Grobian Gans, Die Ducks. Psychogramm einer Sippe, Gräfelfing 1970)

#156 2011-11-03 17:33

Dutch Duckfan Down Under

Netherlands NLD

They did really great on the coloring, it's like travelling back in time 60 years!

Coolwater wrote:

Anyway, it would be a good thing if Daan Jippes would re-draw the story completely again for future magazine reprints. And he should re-draw it one time absolutely close to the original, and then he should draw too some slightly censored alternative pages or panels for the case that in some countries the Disney publishers don't want to publish it in the original way.

Jippes changed his style since the late eighties, when he could draw really Barks-like (and some Mice too!). These days, he's developed a more sketchy style. The Dutch artist Sander Gulien draws in a style very close to what Jippes does these days.

#157 2011-11-03 18:31

Coolwater

Germany DEU

Dutch Duckfan Down Under wrote:

Jippes changed his style since the late eighties, when he could draw really Barks-like (and some Mice too!). These days, he's developed a more sketchy style. The Dutch artist Sander Gulien draws in a style very close to what Jippes does these days.

Jippes can draw in many styles. He can draw Barksoid, Uderzoid, Franquinoid or whatever. I think Jippes can still draw pretty much Barks-alike if he wants. Some of the stories of which Barks only provided sketches he drew in the last decade, I think. "Darkest Africa", re-drawn by Jippes, would look extremely Barksian because Jippes really would just have to copy or to trace it from the finished drawings of the original comic book. That's why "Race to the South Seas" looks so very Barksian, too, I guess, more than Jippes own works or the Junior Woodchuck stories. If one doesn't know that the re-drawn version "Race to the South Seas" is not original Barks, one doesn't recognize it.

»Die Unfähigkeit Donalds zur Erkenntnis seiner Klassenlage und zu ihrer Änderung liegt in seiner verkrüppelten Sexualität begründet.«

#158 2011-11-04 03:00

GeoX
Website

"Race to the South Seas" does indeed look very Barksian.  On the other hand, his Junior Woodchucks redraws really don't look Barksian at all, to my eyes.  Not that I don't like them, but it's a bit much for them to be constantly publicized as being "IN THE CLASSIC BARKSIAN STYLE."

#159 2011-11-04 04:10

Richie

According to Fantagraphics, "Race to the South Seas" uses Barks' original artwork in this series, it ain't the Daan Jippes' version. Is it true that this hasn't happened in 60 years, as FB says?

#160 2011-11-04 14:49

Coolwater

Germany DEU

Richie wrote:

According to Fantagraphics, "Race to the South Seas" uses Barks' original artwork in this series, it ain't the Daan Jippes' version. Is it true that this hasn't happened in 60 years, as FB says?

Not absolutely. The original Barks version was also used already in the Carl Barks Collection in Scandinavia and Germany a few years ago. In the Carl Barks Collection, the strory had, however, also the colours from the original comic book, so it was a scan. The same with "Darkest Africa". The explanation from Ehapa was that it would be to complicated, unmanagable, expensive, whatever to delete the colours and just leave the black lines and spaces.

If Fantagraphics did that job and managed to re-colour the whole thing it really would be a premiere.

Now I just compared a few panels of Fantagraphics' "Race to the South Seas" from the link you gave with the original MOC Barks version in the Carl Barks Collection and with the Jippes version in a comic book. And after that it seems quite clear to me that Fantagraphics used the Jippes version, not the Barks version.

Particularly I looked at the two panels where Donald and the kids have entered the island and meet the natives. Some differences between the Jippes version (that one can also see with the links of the Fantagraphics version) and the Barks MOC version in the Carl Barks Collection:

1) There is a green (thus white) palm leaf hanging over the "cannibal" most left in the picture. In the Barks version all leaves there are "shadowed" (black).

2) The natives have black-coloured hair in the Barks version, but not in the Jippes version

3) The exact structuring of the tree trunk, for example, is in the Fantagraphics version also identical to that of the Jippes version, not of the Barks version.

4) Donald's drops of sweat in the next panel, in all their exactness, are also identical to the Jippes, but not to the Barks version.

5) The forefinger of Donald's right hand is slightly above the sea horizon line, like in the Jippes version. In the Barks version, the finger is under the line.

6) The fingers of the nephew's left hand are a bit different between the Barks and the Jippes version, and Fantagraphics shows also here the Jippes variant.

#161 2011-11-04 18:13

GeoX
Website

Not that I care especially about this in itself, but really now.  I assume this is just confusion on the part of whoever wrote the copy rather than intentional deception, but I would prefer that the people embarking on this project know exactly what they're doing/talking about.

#162 2011-11-11 08:24

Richie

Mexico MEX

#163 2011-11-11 09:54

Charlie Brown

France FRA

Richie wrote:

It's finally here, performing for you, if you know the words, you can join in too!

Great news!! That gives me hope to pick it up in the US next week smile

#164 2011-11-12 04:51

Argonaut

Canada CAN

Judging by the Graham Crackers shipping list (which has a pretty excellent track record), the book will ship through Diamond next week!

http://www.grahamcrackers.com/newcomics.htm

#165 2011-11-12 05:49

snowpeck

United States USA

Some intelligent person at my local public library put "Lost in the Andes" on order... will definitely check it out to hold me over until Christmas money comes!

#166 2011-11-12 09:01

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School

United States USA
Website

Amazon told me they will deliver mine next week.  It had originally been scheduled for December 10.

Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

#167 2011-11-13 02:20

Richie

Mexico MEX

Coolwater wrote:

Richie wrote:

Not absolutely. The original Barks version was also used already in the Carl Barks Collection in Scandinavia and Germany a few years ago. In the Carl Barks Collection, the strory had, however, also the colours from the original comic book, so it was a scan. The same with "Darkest Africa". The explanation from Ehapa was that it would be to complicated, unmanagable, expensive, whatever to delete the colours and just leave the black lines and spaces.

If Fantagraphics did that job and managed to re-colour the whole thing it really would be a premiere.

Now I just compared a few panels of Fantagraphics' "Race to the South Seas" from the link you gave with the original MOC Barks version in the Carl Barks Collection and with the Jippes version in a comic book. And after that it seems quite clear to me that Fantagraphics used the Jippes version, not the Barks version.

[...]

I never thanked you for this lengthy, in-depth answer. Thanks a lot, Coolwater. The guys at Fantagraphics must have realized their mistake; the comment claiming this to be Barks' original artwork has been removed.

#168 2011-11-13 05:32

Robb_K

United States USA
Website

I guess I'll NEVER be able to sell my 1948 and 1949 March of Comics DD issues, if I want to see Barks' drawings in those two stories, together with English text.  All I can hope for now is a Dutch "Carl Barks Collection" with scans of the original comics (probably not much chance of that).  I'm really angry that Fantographics would choose to use the Jippes version of "Race To The South Seas", but even more angry that they have used the TERRIBLE (mainly) Dick Flotes inked version of "Darkest Africa".  Most panels of that version look NOTHING like Barks' work.  I am shocked.  Usually Fantographics issues are produced with dedication and care to preserve the originality of the work (especially noteworthy as Kim Thompson is such a Barks fan).  I am VERY disappointed.  I hope other EDITED  stories are not used, and the originals will be used.

I have access to the German "Carl Barks Collection", and, so, the scans of those 2 stories.  But I really don't enjoy reading the German language at all (and the words are not translated directly from Barks', in any case, but come from an altered version from the creative mind of Erika Fuchs).

#169 2011-11-13 08:55

Hedberg

I'll top you, Rob - Shame, shame on you, Fantagraphic!
You threw away a chance to resurrect the entire back-catalog of last century's greatest cartoonist.
Not good!

#170 2011-11-13 17:54

Dutch Duckfan Down Under

Netherlands NLD

Robb_K wrote:

I guess I'll NEVER be able to sell my 1948 and 1949 March of Comics DD issues, if I want to see Barks' drawings in those two stories, together with English text.  All I can hope for now is a Dutch "Carl Barks Collection" with scans of the original comics (probably not much chance of that).

Don't count on it.

Robb_K wrote:

I'm really angry that Fantographics would choose to use the Jippes version of "Race To The South Seas", but even more angry that they have used the TERRIBLE (mainly) Dick Flotes inked version of "Darkest Africa".  Most panels of that version look NOTHING like Barks' work.

Dick Flotes? The only Dick from that era that I know is Dick Matena, but I thought he only did Big Bad Wolf stories. Who helped Jippes?

Robb_K wrote:

I am shocked.  Usually Fantographics issues are produced with dedication and care to preserve the originality of the work (especially noteworthy as Kim Thompson is such a Barks fan).  I am VERY disappointed.  I hope other EDITED  stories are not used, and the originals will be used.

I want to know why they used the new versions, so I've decided to mail Fantagraphics on why they did this. I'll post the response soon.

I wrote:

Dear Fantagraphics,

I've heard that your new Carl Barks Library is not completely original art, but that for some stories re-inked (and sometimes censored) artwork by Daan Jippes is used. After your marvellous start on the uncensored Floyd Gottfredson library (in which Mickey tries to kill himself, for Pete's sake), why did you decide to do this? There are ways to get Barks' original artwork for your books, so why another censored library after Another Rainbow did the same in the 1980s and the 1990s? I think it's a shame.
Thanks in advance for your reply,

[name], Barks-fan

#171 2011-11-13 19:47

Gerd Syllwasschy

Germany DEU
Website

Dutch Duckfan Down Under wrote:

Dick Flotes?

Dick Vlottes.

"Yay! Germany! That's near Holland!" (Dutch Duckfan Down Under)

#172 2011-11-13 20:27

Joakim Gunnarsson

Robb_K wrote:

[...] but even more angry that they have used the TERRIBLE (mainly) Dick Flotes inked version of "Darkest Africa".

As far as I know that story is not even in the book.
So no need to be angry. smile

#173 2011-11-13 21:10

ramapith

United States USA
Website

Robb_K wrote:

I'm really angry that Fantographics would choose to use the Jippes version of "Race To The South Seas", but even more angry that they have used the TERRIBLE (mainly) Dick Flotes inked version of "Darkest Africa".

Hey Rob (and everyone),

Just FYI, the reinker of "Darkest Africa" was Dick Vlottes (not Flotes), and "Darkest Africa" isn't actually in V1 of Fantagraphics' Donald series. When it eventually does appear, Fantagraphics fully intends to use the Barks version.

But now to the immediate situation: "Race to the South Seas." My boss and co-editor on the Gottfredson Library, Gary Groth, edits Fantagraphics' Barks Library, and he's asked me to help him explain what happened here. I would have done so on Friday, except that Gary has had some health crises in his family and was unable to confirm everything for me until this morning.

Fantagraphics' plan for their Donald V1 was to use a newly recovered all-Barks version of the "South Seas" story, because I had a lead on where original line art photostats could be found. Gary informed Frank Stajano and Leonardo Gori, the writers of the story's annotations, that the original would be in the book—and asked them to write their commentary appropriately.

Alas, I *couldn't* acquire the original version by press time—so my 2006 partial restoration (from Gemstone's WALT DISNEY TREASURES Vol 1) was used in Donald V1 instead. It's actually a mix of Barks and Jippes, and Gary amended Stajano's and Gori's article to describe that.
Unfortunately, due to a production error, the older version of the Stajano and Gori article ended up in the book—still announcing the original version of the story—and Fantagraphics' ad team picked up on this without knowing about the mistake.

Gary tells me that he'd like to apologize to Frank and Leonardo, as well as readers. I had Gary notify the ad team on Friday, which is why the Facebook comment disappeared first.

As for the rest of my involvement—I really *don't* have much to do with the Fantagraphics Barks series, but I do research story sources, and I'm still attempting to recover the all-Barks version of "South Seas." Presuming everything works out, it will make its way into a later printing of Donald V1.

#174 2011-11-13 21:12

ramapith

United States USA
Website

Oops! And while I was writing my lengthy reply, Gerd and Joakim already cleared things up about Vlottes and "Darkest Africa." Thanks, fellas.

#175 2011-11-13 22:20

Robb_K

United States USA
Website

Joakim Gunnarsson wrote:

Robb_K wrote:

[...] but even more angry that they have used the TERRIBLE (mainly) Dick Flotes inked version of "Darkest Africa".

As far as I know that story is not even in the book.
So no need to be angry. smile

I just assumed that if the Barks originals were not used for "Race To The South Seas", that they wouldn't be used for "Darkest Africa". I am glad to read that they WILL be used for Darkest Africa, and that the "partially-restored" version of "Race To The South Seas" will be in Vol. 1, and there may be a 2nd printing with the Barks original.

Yes, I remember now that his name is spelt: Vlottes.  In any case, his inking of Barks' lines looked NOTHING like Barks.

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).