DCF - The Disney Comics Forum

For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#226 2011-09-21 06:49

Ryan_Wynns

United States USA

Re: BOOM!'s DuckTales comics

Just read #4.  I have a headache. 

Throughout the arc, I thought that I was picking up on not-so-subtle hints that Farquardt was working for the villain(s), tasked with undermining Scrooge's mission.  But it looks like Spector's whole game was to "trick" us into suspecting Farquardt, only to have his sincerity and earnestness "proven" and vindicated in the end. 

So, then what was the purpose of the bit on pgs. 10-11 of #3, when a desperate Farquardt  comes running out of the jungle, gasping for breath, delcaring his relief in finding that the ducks haven't left him behind, and then pleadingly explaining that he "followed" the ducks "to see action"?  Why were four panels devoted to this ambiguous incident?  What about the captured Beagle Boy Scrooge had instructed Farquardt to keep watch over?  And why would that have been necessary, when Farquardt and said Beagle Boys were in the immediate presence of the ducks' Rippan Taron allies and their captives...who were OTHER Beagle Boys?  (I mean, I'm sure they could've handled one more!) 

And when Farquardt implores, "Oh, but, sir, while you were struggling with the Beagle Boys, I snuck...", is he referring to the clash with the Beagles back by the huts, bonfire, and crashed plane, when Camille was exposed and the ducks were reunited with with the bound-and-gagged Fulla Cola?  Or the one that had just happened, when the ducks caught up with the fleeing Camille and two Beagle Boys and reclaimed the ruby, only to have Camille escape in the submarine (accompanied by a mysterious persona seen only in silhouette...who I think was supposed to be...er, the hypnotized Gladstone?  Si?) 

Let's get to the bottom of this unaccounted-for bit of dialogue!  At "And snuck...", Scrooge cuts Farquardt off, and reviles him, "Ah, you snuck!  You seem quite adept at that, boyo!"  (...um..."boyo"?)  The best I could make of this exchange was that Spector's intent was to reinforce our feeling that we should be suspicious of Farquardt.  Now that I've seen the story's outcome and the inevitable reveal of Farquardt's true allegiances...this earlier scene still has me scratching my head.  Consider the following:

1. If he means that he did his "sneaking" while the ducks were "struggling" with the Beagle Boys just before Camille escaped on the sub...well, where did he sneak to, what did he do or try to do while sneaking, and why?  If this is the case, it leaves a gaping hole in the story...technically not a plot hole, because it's completely arbitrary to the plot!

2. When Farquardt explains that he'd "followed" the ducks so that he'd "see action", Scrooge retorts, "Ye certainly weren't much help!"  That's what prompts Farquardt to utter, attempting to stick up for himself but groveling submissively, "Oh, but, sir, while were struggling with the Beagle Boys, I snuck..."  If he's talking about the "struggle" back by the huts/bonfire/plane, could it be that he was going to finish that sentence with something along the lines of, "I snuck onto the roof of a hut, and got the jump on that Beagle Boy you left in my charge"(!?)  If that's the case, Scrooge already knew about that incident -- Farquardt didn't need to tell him about it!

Either way, going by the story's outcome and Farquardt's vindication, you'd think Spector's scheme for the character is obvious: Farquardt's supposed to seem furtive and suspicious, only to have this perception of him "foiled" at the end with the "twist" that he'd been a straight-shooter all along -- when he said he yearned for action and adventure, he couldn't have been more genuine!  So...was Farquardt left guarding the vehicle as a contrivance so that a couple scenes later he'd come scurrying out of the jungle, acting overly anxious and like a cowardly, shameless rat, exacerbating our suspicions and disliking of him?  Couldn't there have been a better, more sensible way of setting this up?   (Seeing as that the Rippan Tarons wouldn't need Farquardt's help in guarding the captured Beagle Boys in the first place!)  ...or were we even supposed to have ever thought thatFarquardt was dishonorable in the first place?! Were we just supposed to think, "Boy, look at how he came running all that way through the jungle and how he's all out of breath -- he must really want to be part of the action, just like he says!"?  It would help if the dialogue weren't so careless and vague, and we could be sure of what occassion of "struggling with the Beagle Boys" he was referring to.

...or could it be that Spector had left Farquardt back by the bonfire as a hasty excuse for the ducks to be in the spotlight during the ensuing chase and scrap with the Beagle Boys, and all that stuff with Farquardt barging out from the jungle, bemoaning being deprived of the "action" he'd so craved, was because Spector needed to get him back with the ducks for the return to Duckburg?  ...no...please, no, that would mean that all that's implied during that exchange between Scrooge and Farquardt is irrelevent excess baggage...I don't even want to think about it...

Yes, for my own peace of mind, it's nothing more than: Farquardt was chasing down the ducks because, from the bottom of his heart, he was loyal to Scrooge's mission, and ready and willing to partake in action and adventure.  If he seemed dubious, like he was making excuses...well, it's just that we'd misread him.  (Whether or not we were meant to!)  In the end, Billups, on the other hand, is now a ruined man, losing his job to Farquardt.  ...er, is that exchange supposed to be some form of poetic justice; the underdog showing up his tyrannical "boss"?  Oh, yeahhhh, that reprehensible Billups, asking Farquardt not to call him "Chief" and working in the lucrative museum industry only out of greed -- he really had it coming!

Ah, and Billups -- was he in cahoots with Rockerduck, or not?!  When it's revealed that Billups had all of the artifacts returned to the museum, Rockerduck seems disappointed and angry at him.  But then, what in #3 did Rockerduck mean by "You almost let the cat out of the bag, Billups"!?

A lot of writing I've spent dwelling on a few panels.  Like I said, this arc has given me a headache.  I could give other examples where I found things unclear, and got a sense that things were abbreviated, truncated, and glossed over. 

One other thing: I had no idea about Rockerduck's tradition of eating hats.  Recent posts in this thread filled me in.  Could it be that Spector has read far more European Duck comics than he has watched episodes of DuckTales?

Ryan

#227 2011-09-21 18:35

Gyro Gearloose

United States USA
Website

I have not purchased any issues of Boom's "DuckTales" (nor do the reviews on here give me much inclination to do so); my knowledge of it is limited to the online previews. But, is "Billups" the name Spector has given the museum curator borrowed from Barks' Golden Helmet? If so, making the character a cohort of Rockerduck's and having him lose his job is another black mark against Spector, and seems to indicate how little he understands the stories he's trying to pay "tribute" to. The Curator in Barks' story was actually quite a heroic figure, and though he did succumb to the temptation of the Helmet, so did Donald--and the Curator's plans for the populace of North America, if you'll recall, are nowhere near as sinister as those of Azure Blue and Donald himself.

#228 2011-10-09 00:02

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

There's a preview of DuckTales #5 at http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page … p;id=10045 .

#229 2011-10-09 03:06

Roger North

I think the preview is cool but I don't get why Drake and Fenton don't recognize each other.  I also think it's weird to see The Phantom Blot in this story. I know he appeared in one episode of Duck Tales but he is mainly a Mickey Mouse villain. I would like to read the whole story just to see what's going on.

#230 2011-10-09 03:31

Jano
Website

It will be interesting to see whether they've used these totally pixelated balloons and lettering for that preview only or if it'll look the same in the final product...

#231 2011-10-09 15:28

Ryan_Wynns

Gyro Gearloose wrote:

But, is "Billups" the name Spector has given the museum curator borrowed from Barks' Golden Helmet?

My apologies -- I meant to answer this much sooner!

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same character...but there's a decided resemblance.

If so, making the character a cohort of Rockerduck's and having him lose his job is another black mark against Spector, and seems to indicate how little he understands the stories he's trying to pay "tribute" to. The Curator in Barks' story was actually quite a heroic figure

Yes, and that's why the afore-mentioned "decided resemblance" is a little too close for DIScomfort.

Ryan

#232 2011-10-09 23:26

Manduck

United States USA

Roger North wrote:

I think the preview is cool but I don't get why Drake and Fenton don't recognize each other.  I also think it's weird to see The Phantom Blot in this story. I know he appeared in one episode of Duck Tales but he is mainly a Mickey Mouse villain. I would like to read the whole story just to see what's going on.

Well, it's been a while a since I've seen Darkwing Duck, but IIRC they only met once as Drake and Fenton.  Guess they just didn't find each other too memorable.

"Tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties!"

#233 2011-10-10 00:07

Furienna

Sweden SWE

But didn't Fenton get on Drake's nerves? I've only seen that episode once, and that was years ago, but that's how I remember it. So I would very much doubt, that Drake would have forgotten about Fenton.

Nice to see that story by the way. If only they had published more than seven pages. Sigh...

#234 2011-10-10 00:18

Manduck

United States USA

Furienna wrote:

But didn't Fenton get on Drake's nerves? I've only seen that episode once, and that was years ago, but that's how I remember it. So I would very much doubt, that Drake would have forgotten about Fenton.

Nice to see that story by the way. If only they had published more than seven pages. Sigh...

Well, IIRC, all they did was argue about each other's superhero alter egos.  Darkwing deals with enough people who don't like him on a regular basis.

Well anyway, Spector made much worse continuity mistakes with DuckTales.  He's probably just be worse with Darkwing Duck continuity?

#235 2011-10-10 01:37

Roger North

They did get on each other's nerves when they met each other as Drake and Fenton. I almost forgot about that part.

#236 2011-10-10 01:59

kimba_1962
Website

Lars Jensen wrote:

There's a preview of DuckTales #5 at http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page … p;id=10045 .

Huh... the ink-slime-whatever merely possessed folks (Constance A. Dention excepted) and turned them to the 'dark side' before, but now it appears to be sentient?  Color me... no, not jet-black, but certainly confused.  And, yes, having Drake and Fenton be unfamiliar with one another is a pretty big gaffe.

#237 2011-10-10 02:38

Furienna

Sweden SWE

I just want to see how this will end. yikes

#238 2011-10-10 08:11

Malarity
Website

Manduck wrote:

Well anyway, Spector made much worse continuity mistakes with DuckTales.  He's probably just be worse with Darkwing Duck continuity?

I've been told that Ian Brill wrote the entire crossover, not Warren. I think Warren's contribution was only at the beginning when they were hammering out the plot. To be honest I'm not sure why they accredited Warren as a writer, because I'm pretty sure Ian wrote the entire script.

The Old Haunt: A Darkwing Duck fan forum: http://www.negaverse.net/oldhaunt

#239 2011-10-10 14:02

Manduck

United States USA

Malarity wrote:

Manduck wrote:

I've been told that Ian Brill wrote the entire crossover, not Warren. I think Warren's contribution was only at the beginning when they were hammering out the plot. To be honest I'm not sure why they accredited Warren as a writer, because I'm pretty sure Ian wrote the entire script.

That makes me feel a little better.  I certainly hope it's better than the "Rightful Owners" arc.  Having said that, the lack of consistency in Scrooge's character sort of bugs me.  If anybody's read Darkwing #16, Scrooge is involved because Launchpad donated all of Quackworks' earnings to charity.  Scrooge naturally scoffs at the idea, but in "Rightful Owners" he admits he eager to give up whatever he has.  The former characterization makes more sense to me, but I still don't feel the character should just change from literally one issue to the next.

#240 2011-10-11 21:46

Vesuvius

I'm worried about the crossover. It's been said on The Old Haunt that James Silvani has largely "fixed" most of Ian Brill's Darkwing scripts, and that the crossover is almost all Brill. That would explain the gaffe with Fenton and Drake not knowing each other, and Scrooge seeming wildly out of character. I'm not sure Ian Brill really knows these characters at all.

The sloppy writing on the preview does not bode well at all, as far as I'm concerned.

#241 2011-10-12 16:21

Baar Baar Jinx

I was under the impression that the entire crossover would be released today (DT #5&6, DW # 17&18), but Boom's website lists DT#5 as "sold out" and the issue does not even appear on TFAW's website ... what happened, was it ever released? Has anyone actually gotten a copy?

#242 2011-10-13 02:17

snowpeck

The schedule got thrown way off by the delay of DuckTales #4.  It's typical for Kaboom's website to show "sold out."  They only deal in pre-orders.  They don't sell anything that's already on shelves. Darkwing Duck #17 is now scheduled for next week.  No idea on the rest of the crossover.

#243 2011-10-13 02:49

Roger North

They said Duck Tales #5 is sold out. That's terrible. I think I might wait for the trade paperback to come out anyway if it does.  At Least Darkwing Duck #17 is scheduled for next week.

#244 2011-10-13 03:49

Baar Baar Jinx

United States USA

snowpeck wrote:

The schedule got thrown way off by the delay of DuckTales #4.  It's typical for Kaboom's website to show "sold out."  They only deal in pre-orders.  They don't sell anything that's already on shelves. Darkwing Duck #17 is now scheduled for next week.  No idea on the rest of the crossover.

Are you saying then that DuckTales #5 hasn't come out yet?

#245 2011-10-13 06:41

t.wormstedt@gmail.com

United States USA

I just checked Boom's website and they're now listing DuckTales #5 as being in stock again, (both covers).

I haven't gotten a copy yet.  My comic shop got the issue but was all sold out by the time I got there.

They didn't know about the Darkwing/DuckTales crossover - otherwise they would have ordered way more issues - since Darkwing is such a big seller there.

#246 2011-10-13 07:55

snowpeck

United States USA

My mistake... I'm not accustomed to Kaboom's website showing anything as "in stock" that's already shipped to dealers.  Waiting on the trade paperback might not be such a good idea unless you pre-order it... TFAW says it's being printed to order (meaning they will only be printing enough copies to satisfy the pre-orders).

#247 2011-10-13 13:52

Roger North

Duck Tales #5 is back in stock? Cool.  Hopefully all the issues with the crossover story will be available soon.

#248 2011-10-19 18:39

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

There's a preview of Darkwing Duck #17 at http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ … eview.html .

According to the accompanying text, the issue is released today.

#249 2011-10-19 19:14

Roger North

The story is getting more intense. I can't wait until they release Duck Tales #6 and Darkwing Duck #18.

#250 2011-10-20 03:19

kimba_1962
Website

DW #17 IS out... and FAR better than DT #5, I might add!

The byplay between Gos and HD&L and a COMPLETELY unexpected return engagement by a DUCKTALES spear-carrier are themselves worth the cover price.

Also, Silvani really delivers the artistic goods.

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).