For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#76 2011-08-04 19:38

Dutch Duckfan Down Under

Netherlands NLD

Re: BOOM!'s DuckTales comics

Kneon wrote:

DUCKFAIL! Woo hoo!

No rabbitfail, but epic fail: DuckFail! Woohoo! We need to make a complete theme of this. DuckFail, woohoo!

Kuh-boom, everyone!

#77 2011-08-04 19:43

Kneon

Hee. I move for (unofficially) calling this series DUCKFAIL to avoid confusion with the Marvel or Gemstone books. wink

Laugh or cry, man.... laugh or cry.

#78 2011-08-04 19:49

Kneon

More fans catch on that this train done derailed:
http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/thre … ics.48016/

*If* another publisher would come along and be able to reprint Boom's DUCKTALES material, I wonder if the story could possibly be salvaged with a little editing finesse and reworked art?

Or is this thing all bathwater, no baby?

#79 2011-08-04 20:29

Malarity
Website

Kneon wrote:

*If* another publisher would come along and be able to reprint Boom's DUCKTALES material, I wonder if the story could possibly be salvaged with a little editing finesse and reworked art?

Referring to the forum thread you linked to; it really irks me that people keep going on about how Marvel will never ever publish Disney comics like Darkwing, DuckTales, or the rest of the Disney Afternoon crew. Eveeeeeeeer.

Ohwait, what's this: http://negaverse.net/index.php?pid=24

But seriously. I've noticed a lot of people like to paint Disney as this big evil heartless corporation that took away the title from this innocent small-name company that only wanted to promote the good nostalgia. There are a lot of folks within Disney who are apparently huge fans of the Disney Afternoon titles and would love to see them thrive. It'll be tough, but I think that as long as we have people who are interested in pushing the titles and seeing them continue on, there's still a chance that Darkwing Duck (and maybe DuckTales and Rescue Rangers) will find a new home somewhere within Disney and Marvel.

The Old Haunt: A Darkwing Duck fan forum: http://www.negaverse.net/oldhaunt

#80 2011-08-04 20:39

DuckburgUSA

United States USA

Here's the official kaboom! cover (taken directly from the AWESOME original artwork!) for the newly re-christened DUCKFAIL issue #3! It's the limited edition "Scrooge's Amazing Transparent Neck" cover, just like on the actual comics page!

KABOOM, bitches!!!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/DuckburgUSA/DT3NewCover.jpg

#81 2011-08-04 20:40

steet

France FRA

Malarity wrote:

Kneon wrote:

Referring to the forum thread you linked to; it really irks me that people keep going on about how Marvel will never ever publish Disney comics like Darkwing, DuckTales, or the rest of the Disney Afternoon crew. Eveeeeeeeer.

Ohwait, what's this: http://negaverse.net/index.php?pid=24

But seriously. I've noticed a lot of people like to paint Disney as this big evil heartless corporation that took away the title from this innocent small-name company that only wanted to promote the good nostalgia. There are a lot of folks within Disney who are apparently huge fans of the Disney Afternoon titles and would love to see them thrive. It'll be tough, but I think that as long as we have people who are interested in pushing the titles and seeing them continue on, there's still a chance that Darkwing Duck (and maybe DuckTales and Rescue Rangers) will find a new home somewhere within Disney and Marvel.

Well said! I'm also annoyed by the same thing (true, I used to bash Disney for not giving the possibility for Boom to do TaleSpin, but not anymore now that I know the whole story)

Why do people keep thinking "Marvel will not care because they already have their own properties"? On the contrary, owning lucrative "kids" licences is a great opportunity for them, because they know the future of the comics lies in the new generation of readers. And which Disney books have sold the best recently? Not the classics, but the Disney Afternoon books.
I'd say Marvel would be really foolish not to at least TRY.

Here's the official kaboom! cover (taken directly from the AWESOME original artwork!) for the newly re-christened DUCKFAIL issue #3! It's the limited edition "Scrooge's Amazing Transparent Neck" cover, just like on the actual comics page!

KABOOM, bitches!!!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 … wCover.jpg

Wow!!! I think I'll definitely spend 9.99$ into this. Got to get them all, after all!

PETITION FOR REVIVING DISNEY TALESPIN IN COMICS!
Already more than 500 signatures! Spread the word!

#82 2011-08-04 20:46

Kneon

Malarity wrote:

I've noticed a lot of people like to paint Disney as this big evil heartless corporation that took away the title from this innocent small-name company that only wanted to promote the good nostalgia.

I'd agree with that. It's easy to blame Disney for everything as its their name on the cover. Sometimes publishers just bone up.

I'd love to know what Disney thought about Boom's handling of the license in its waning days, but we'll probably never know.

#83 2011-08-04 21:03

Vesuvius

I am really apalled by how little effort Boom is putting into these books. Does this book even have an editor?

I realize that the Boom/Disney relationship may not be on the best footing, but I think it's extremely unprofessional of Boom to turn in artwork of such low quality. Whether it's because they're rushing it out or because they just don't care anymore, it reflects poorly on them, and shows not only a lack of respect for the books and the characters, but their fans as well, many of whom got into other Boom books through picking up the Disney titles.

I have called my comic shop and canceled not only the remaining Disney titles, but purged my pull list of Irredeemable, Planet Of The Apes and Snarked. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give one thin dime to a company that so blatantly spits in my face.

#84 2011-08-05 05:18

DuckburgUSA

Hmmm, looks like Boom!/kaboom! needs to update the animated DuckTales banner ad at the masthead of their site.

I think the GIF progression should go something like this:

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/DuckburgUSA/DT-Banner.jpg

Boy, I don't know about you guys, but I can't WAIT until kaboom!'s DuckTales #4! Wonder if they're just going to skip that costly artwork and utilize balloon-captioned frame-grabs from fuzzy VHS tapes of the show? That's the kind of editing we expect from the comics publisher that "put kids comics back on the map!"

KABOOM, bitches!!!

#85 2011-08-05 14:02

Kneon

Where is the preview for issue #4, anyway? Thus far, they've been posting previews for every issue a few months out from release. So we should've seen a preview for DUCKTALES #4 around June-ish, correct?

Given everything that's gone down over the past few months, will we even see a #4?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

#86 2011-08-05 15:40

kimba_1962
Website

I prefer DUCKFLAIL to DUCKFAIL, myself, but that's just me.  That's TWO spit takes I've done this morning (the other being when I saw the mock panels for the proposed DT #4). 

How much worse can it get, anyway??

#87 2011-08-05 16:08

DuckburgUSA

United States USA

kimba_1962 wrote:

I dunno, but we can't get negative on a Friday! How about getting ready for the weekend with a morning sing-along? Here’s some lyrics, so we can all sing together:

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/DuckburgUSA/DuckFailLyrics.jpg

That's a JPEG you can print out and share as well! Happy singing! wink

#88 2011-08-05 16:56

Kneon

Snap!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/04/ … ducktales/

(How long until Boom! has that pulled?)

DuckburgUSA wrote:

kimba_1962 wrote:

I dunno, but we can't get negative on a Friday! How about getting ready for the weekend with a morning sing-along? Here’s some lyrics, so we can all sing together:

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 … Lyrics.jpg

That's a JPEG you can print out and share as well! Happy singing! wink

BEST. POST. EVER.

#89 2011-08-05 16:56

DuckburgUSA

United States USA

Double-Snap!

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/comics/is-th … -time.html

Check out the headline: "Is This the Worst Disney Comic of All-Time?"

Bleeding Cool & Cartoon Brew! Getting closer to a MUCH wider audience, here. Lest I forget...

KABOOM, bitches!!!

#90 2011-08-05 17:09

Kneon

Wow, this is turning into quite the media clusterduck, isn't it?

(Ba-dum-ching!)

#91 2011-08-05 17:22

DuckburgUSA

United States USA

Kneon wrote:

BEST. POST. EVER.

Thanks, Kneon! I was laughing the whole time I wrote it!

This whole DuckTales/kaboom! thing wouldn't have gotten nearly as much negative media attention if Boom! had been responsible for checking over the work they received, and delaying the book if necessary (they've done that plenty of times in the past). This wouldn't even be as embarassing for them and the Walt Disney Comapany if they gave "DuckTales" even half the care they've been giving to "Darkwing Duck," which has been a very strong book in terms of art, story and quailty.

Make us smile, BOOM!/kaboom! and issue an apology - take your medicine.

#92 2011-08-05 19:03

Kneon

It's not just us. Over on the Bleeding Cool forums, someone posted:
I'd be interested to hear Boom's response to this.

To which another poster replied:
LOL! You really should write comedy. Boom! doesn't answer anything. The only thing they post are "We have exciting news for you. Please wait!". They didn't even have the courage to tell their readers that yes, all their Disney stuff was going away and just ignored readers asking why. Their dealing with fans make Marvel's fratboy party look like people for are always telling the truth and are straight and upfront with their readers.

Link: http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/show … post220289

#93 2011-08-05 19:19

Joakim Gunnarsson

Sweden SWE

DuckburgUSA wrote:

Don't worry! DuckTales #4 is gonna be AWESOME - here's a preview... KABOOM, bitches!!!

Bwhahaha! You had me laughing out loud!

#94 2011-08-05 19:34

Vesuvius

Someone should really set the Bleeding Cool readership straight on "Brill's" Darkwing Duck. According to the threads over at Negaverse, it seems he's heavily rewritten first by Aaron Sparrow and now by James Silvani. I'm not sure how much rewriting Brill gets on Darkwing, but I believe it after reading his lackluster Rescue Rangers.

Kneon- So everytime you posted something, Chip Mosher would scold you? Why? You weren't employed by Boom in any capacity, were you? In any case, I'll bet he's blowing you up now! yikes

So the question that must be asked...is this just Boom incompetence, apathy, or a deliberate, malicious act on their part toward Disney Comics?

#95 2011-08-05 20:08

Kneon

Vesuvius wrote:

Someone should really set the Bleeding Cool readership straight on "Brill's" Darkwing Duck. According to the threads over at Negaverse, it seems he's heavily rewritten first by Aaron Sparrow and now by James Silvani. I'm not sure how much rewriting Brill gets on Darkwing, but I believe it after reading his lackluster Rescue Rangers.

So the question that must be asked...is this just Boom incompetence, apathy, or a deliberate, malicious act on their part toward Disney Comics?

No self-respecting, professional comic book company could "accidentally" release such drivel... could they? This is above and beyond editorial oversight, IMHO. It's almost comical how bad it actually is! So maybe it was Boom's way of telling Disney to take a hike?!

Again, I haven't seen a preview for issue #4. You'd think it would have been blasted all over the internet by now. HMMM.

Boom's remaining silent -- as usual -- so we'll probably never know.

Speaking of Aaron Sparrow, I see he's chimed in on Negaverse.net:
http://www.negaverse.net/oldhaunt/viewt … p;start=74

Knowing how protective they are of their characters, I cannot fathom any of this being Disney's fault. I have to wonder what Warren's story would have been like with proper editorial guidance and reworked art.

Under different circumstances, maybe this series would've been hailed as one of the best Disney comics, instead of the worst.

Sad. sad

As for Brill getting writing credit for Sparrow's work? Well, nothing Boom! did would surprise me at this point.

(Except maybe apologize and offer people a refund!)

#96 2011-08-05 21:11

Kneon

Ian Brill (@ibrill) tweeted this last night:

Of course, we're still making the last issues! Believe me we are going out with style (and building on what we've been doing from the start)

In response to all of the brouhaha over DT #3? Dunno. But it sounds as if they intend to finish off both series.

#97 2011-08-05 22:51

Vesuvius

So the crossover is going to make the Ducktales characters secondary characters to what they've been doing with Darkwing Duck? That doesn't bode well. Scrooge shouldn't take a back-seat to anyone.

After the way Ducktales has looked, I'd honestly rather not see what else they have in store.

#98 2011-08-06 14:14

Dutch Duckfan Down Under

Netherlands NLD

Looking at the rate the quality declines, here's my guess what the cross-over in DuckFail #6 will look like.
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3453/kaboomb.jpg

#99 2011-08-07 06:57

DuckburgUSA

Dutch Duckfan Down Under wrote:

Looking at the rate the quality declines, here's my guess what the cross-over in DuckFail #6 will look like.
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3453/kaboomb.jpg

Very funny - I like that artist "Billy" has aged 1/2 a year! Don't know how Dexter got caught up in all this, though. Dee-Dee must have pressed the red button, unless it was the EPIC team-up of Flintheart Glomgold and Mandark!

#100 2011-08-07 07:29

AaronSparrow

Hi guys,

Well, you've been blowing up my twitter account and facebook page, so I thought I'd drop in.

I'm glad that unlike a lot of forums, you guys here at DCF seem to understand that Disney is not at fault here. I've said it elsewhere, but I want to reiterate that the people I was fortunate to work with at Disney Publishing cared immensely about all of the product and the characters, and were not only helpful but very enthusiastic and encouraging about the idea of relaunching the Disney Afternoon properties. The proper presentation of the characters, both in terms of writing and art, was of paramount importance to them. I wouldn't presume to speak for them, but I imagine they are as appalled at this as you are.  IMHO, I doubt their approval people saw the art in question before it went to print. Often, things were sent to print without Disney's final approval, and the attitude was "Just say the printer uploaded the wrong file, and we'll fix it for the trade."

Incidentally, I'd like to point out that editor Christopher Burns really wanted to make this title every bit as spectacular as the characters, and you, the fans, deserved. Unfortunately, his hands were tied at every level, and he has since left the company.

-A

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).