DCF - The Disney Comics Forum

For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-21 03:02

scaredyett

Where can i find mickey mouse comic strips from the 90's?

Help, if someone can, i'm going crazy trying to find mickey mouse comic strips from the 90's till the end, even the 80's would be cool, i wish they would just sell a complete collection! but anyways, i'm curious to what the last airdate was, and if i can see them, i've tried searching through tons of web sites. i used to clip and paste them into my own books when i was a kid i have like 3 years worth but can't find them, so anyways does anyone know where i can read some of the strips? thanks
joey

#2 2008-05-21 08:32

Roger North

United States USA

Re: Where can i find mickey mouse comic strips from the 90's?

Joey I think you should get the Gladstone website. They have back issues of Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse Adventures, Mickey and Donald, Donald and Mickey, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse, and Walt Disney Giant and most issues of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories.  They have a lot of back issues from the 80s and 90s.

#3 2008-05-22 00:23

scaredyett

well i' was looking more for the actual newspaper comic strip. i think the comics print some newspaper strips from the 30's and 40's but i was curious to see th eones from the 80's and 90s thanks for the tip tho! : )

#4 2008-05-22 12:50

Roger North

United States USA

You're Welcome Joey. Actually I don't think they had Mickey Mouse newspaper strips in the 90's. They have had some in the 80's I heard that King Features Syndicate the paper published Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck newspaper comic strips went out of business in 1989.

#5 2008-05-22 16:11

Olivier
Administrator

France FRA
Website

An advanced search on the C.O.A. for daily Mickey Mouse strips after 1990 found 150 results (from 1991 to 1994).

Here are the results for strips from 1980 onwards.

http://bobcat74.free.fr/obemoticons/disney/ducks/gyro0001bm.giflivier

#6 2008-05-23 15:24

Roger North

United States USA

Really? I didn't know that.

#7 2008-05-23 15:55

JeffT

United States USA

All foreign language (for us US guys anway!) like so much great Disney stuff.  Kudos to Gemstone (and Gladstone before) for translating so many stories over the years at least.  I should learn to read Dutch, Italian, Norwegian and Swedish. smile

#8 2008-05-23 19:00

Stefan

Sweden SWE

As far as I know, we (i.e. the Inducks Team) don't know exactly when the Mickey Mouse daily strip ended. There may be strips not mentioned in Inducks, simply because no one knows anything about them. You'll find some 1990s strips in the Italian New Comics Now (http://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=it/CNC; translated into Italian), and you can try to look at daily newspapers at a library (good luck finding any that published the Mickey Mouse strip!).

#9 2008-05-23 20:00

Roger North

United States USA

Let Me Get This Straight there were Mickey Mouse comic strips in foreign countries published in the 90's but they weren't published in America. Somehow I'm not surprised.  A lot of the good Disney Comic Stories were published overseas before they were released here in America.

#10 2008-05-23 20:32

Kurt Appel

Austria AUT

The last Mickey Mouse dailies were published, as it seems, 1994 and most of them were printed in an Italian collection named "New comics now" (in Italian) which are sometimes sold at Ebay Italia. If you go to the Induck website and look at US Publications you have to go to Disney newspaper strips and you will habe all the information you need.

#11 2008-05-24 13:43

Roger North

United States USA

Thanks for the info Kurt.

#12 2008-05-24 21:22

scaredyett

United States USA

thanks evryone for the help, it's crazy b/c king featires has no knowledge of the strip on their site and they havent answered my email yet! i know my newspaper back in new york carried mickey mouse from 1991- i think 1994 and i found some in high school on houston chronicle.com and i beleive the washington post, houston chron stopped in july 1996 they said in 1 of their articles to make way for a new comic strip. but the ones i have from i beleive the washington post online (years ago) were from 1997 neither has these in their archives, houston chronicles archive goes back to 1998 but you cant access pages from 1996, i emeialed them too but havent heard back. the stories in the early 90;s from my paper were really cool they were 3-4 week stories that continued then for a week or so they would do daily funnies, then go back to a story, one was a ghost story in a haunted house, one was goofy getting a submarine, minnie gaining weight from chocolates, a parallel universe on the beach, i made a bunch of books up of these, but theyre somewhere in my parents in nj and im in florid anow, hopefully this summer i can find them and maybe post them? but if anyone has some already that would be awesome!

#13 2008-05-26 00:25

cacou
Administrator

France FRA
Website

I read that in the 90s, many MM dailies are actually reprints of older strips (in Inducks we would only list original dailies, for now).
I remember that on the KFS website, in the late 1990s, you could actually download the current daily strip. One of them was a Disney strip that I used to download. Was it Mickey Mouse? I'm not sure, and have now lost all the scans, but maybe someone still has them.

#14 2008-05-26 04:44

scaredyett

United States USA

i definately have a few years from the 90's as soon as i find them i'll scan them and you can add them to the database, i know when they were printed they were the actual year they were in the papers, like if the comic was on sept 1, 1991 it said copyright 1991 and these were thru 1997 (maybe even later) i should be back at my parents in july so i will def scan them as soon as i get them.

#15 2008-05-30 06:42

Steamboat Willie
koll. 1382

Sweden SWE

I downloaded the american MM strips and my last strip on disc is... let's see...  YM 99-08-07 and that one is in the middle of a Phantom Blot adventure.   But someone at KFS should be able to answer the question of the last DD or MM strip..  (and, yes, they haven't gone belly-up yet as far as I know.) There must be records at KFS...

http://dcf.outducks.org/contrib/img/resized_5Vc1PO_sZBgec.gif

Can anyone identify the cartoonist?

// Steamboat willie

#16 2008-05-30 08:59

cacou
Administrator

France FRA
Website

Hi Steamboat!
How big are these files? and would you be able to upload them at some place? I would like to put them on outducks.
(my email is: francois -at- inducks.org)
Thank you.

#17 2008-05-30 13:39

Roger North

United States USA

There is something a little disturbing about that comic strip? For One thing The Phantom Blot looks funny and another Mickey wouldn't just help The Phantom Blot unless there was a reason for it. Maybe there was a reason for it being so disturbing like the fact that it was in 1999. After all that was the first year that there were no Disney Comic books in the USA since Gladstone went out of business.

#18 2008-05-31 17:48

timoro

European Union EU
Website

I believe this one is from 1999. I picked it up at that time from San Jose Mercury newspaper's web pages. They carry no longer Mickey strip. Somewhere I have got information that it is drawn by Rick Hoover. (oh, how I wish now, I had picked up a whole run of these strips... Oh why I didn't do it.)

http://www.perunamaa.net/ankistit/mikki2000.gif

Best Wishes
Timo

#19 2008-05-31 18:05

sirredknee
Brisanzbremse

Germany DEU
Website

Wow, I've been under the impression Emil Eagle is considered dead... wink  I also didn't know they abandoned the gag per day format - when did they reintroduce the serial strips?

#20 2008-05-31 23:30

Stefan

Sweden SWE

sirredknee wrote:

when did they reintroduce the serial strips?

Early 1990s, as far as I know.

#21 2008-06-01 20:29

scaredyett

United States USA

Oh man the emil eagle one i rememebr, i have those in th ebooks i made where  i cut them out of the newspaper, i cant wait to get home to my parents to look for them, i will upload them as soon as i go there but it wont be till july. that aired in papers i think around 1990-1991 im not sure exactly but it was when my paper carried it. the phantom blot one wasnt in my papers, so that mustve been after 1994 i think the serial idea stopped around 1996 b/c when i used to print them at school from the post or the chronicle site it was a gag toon everyday, when usually the gag toons would run a week after a serial concluded and beofre the next began. if anyone has more id love to see them! thanks for posting!

#22 2008-06-01 21:49

scaredyett

United States USA

im looking at the date of the emil eagle story and i think it says 2000, but in my paper it aired early 90's so i wonder if they only made a few stories and aired them in newspapers like repeating them, it doesnt seem many papers published mickey for many consecutive years, like my paper only aired them fo 3 or 4 years, maybe they only had so many years worth and then stopped publishing them when they started repeating?

#23 2008-06-01 23:03

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

sirredknee wrote:

Wow, I've been under the impression Emil Eagle is considered dead... wink

For a number of years, Emil Eagle has been considered dead by ECN, the Disney comics producing part of Egmont. That means that ECN in all that time hasn't wanted to produce stories with Emil Eagle. However, Egmont still can reprint existing stories with Emil, and other comics producers might still produce stories with him.

#24 2008-06-02 05:44

Steamboat Willie
koll. 1382

Sweden SWE

timoro wrote:

I believe this one is from 1999. I picked it up at that time from San Jose Mercury newspaper's web pages. They carry no longer Mickey strip. Somewhere I have got information that it is drawn by Rick Hoover. (oh, how I wish now, I had picked up a whole run of these strips... Oh why I didn't do it.)

http://www.perunamaa.net/ankistit/mikki2000.gif

Best Wishes
Timo

This is (C) 2000, so I presume this is the strip from "3-3" 2000 (YM 00-03-03?).
At least this is the latest strip I have seen as of yet... :-)  Nice work!  Do you have more late strips?

// Steamboat willie

#25 2008-06-02 05:58

Steamboat Willie
koll. 1382

Sweden SWE

Roger North wrote:

There is something a little disturbing about that comic strip? For One thing The Phantom Blot looks funny and another Mickey wouldn't just help The Phantom Blot unless there was a reason for it. Maybe there was a reason for it being so disturbing like the fact that it was in 1999. After all that was the first year that there were no Disney Comic books in the USA since Gladstone went out of business.

Yes, the Blot looks a bit unorthodox, but not more unusual than some 70's incarnations.
.. and for Mickey HELPING the blot?  can't you see that the blot is torturing mickey in this strip by forcing him to write "The blot is a cool dude" over and over again on the blackboard... :-)

Although I must admit that "The blot is a cool dude" sounds a bit non-blottish to me.

// Steamboat willie

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).