DCF - The Disney Comics Forum

For discussing anything related to both comics and Disney

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-06-09 02:50

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

I don't know who the prolific artists/writers are for Tio Patinhas (see link below). Not many of these stories seem to reprinted in any U.S. pubs. I like the fact that a good number of them are lengthy epics—albeit they are done 3 rows per page as opposed to the 4 rows format—often up to 44 or even 60 pages. That has been a major disappointment for me with the Gemstone Uncle Scrooge comics where most stories are typically of less than 20 pages and too many are 10-pages or less of gags.

http://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=br/TP

Offline

 

#52 2008-06-09 03:38

Roger North
Member
Registered: 2007-07-27
Posts: 2255

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

You're right Lady Quackly. There are some good artists out there.

Offline

 

#53 2008-06-09 03:39

Roger North
Member
Registered: 2007-07-27
Posts: 2255

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Maybe they'll reprint them in the form of TPBs Like they did with The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and World of The Dragonlords and other stories like that.

Offline

 

#54 2008-06-09 05:27

LadyQuackly
Member
From: Southern Cali
Registered: 2008-04-02
Posts: 358

United States USA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Morequack wrote:

I don't know who the prolific artists/writers are for Tio Patinhas (see link below). Not many of these stories seem to reprinted in any U.S. pubs. I like the fact that a good number of them are lengthy epics—albeit they are done 3 rows per page as opposed to the 4 rows format—often up to 44 or even 60 pages. That has been a major disappointment for me with the Gemstone Uncle Scrooge comics where most stories are typically of less than 20 pages and too many are 10-pages or less of gags.

http://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=br/TP

I would really REALLY love to see those Brazilian comics, but they're very hard to get ahold of (and
from I hear, quite expensive olivier2/sad )  Ze Carioca is another comic I'd like to read (in English, since I
can hardly read Portugese), but the character is sadly underappreciated here in the States. Still, it
would be really great see reprints of either here.

Thanks for the link! olivier2/happy


Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline

 

#55 2008-06-09 08:31

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School
From: LosAngelesUSA/Muenchen,Germany
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 2081

Netherlands NLD
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Ze Carioca has de veloped quite a lot, over the years since introduced in the early 1940s.  The Brasilians have invented a lot of supporting characters of their own (which is nice).  But, since the 1980s, they have modernised the characters (including Jose) (dress and mannerisms) so much, that the strip is hardly recognisable.  I much prefer the old US strip, and the '80s Dutch stories.

Grote griebels!  Ik ben Nederlander weer!


Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

Offline

 

#56 2008-06-09 18:00

LadyQuackly
Member
From: Southern Cali
Registered: 2008-04-02
Posts: 358

United States USA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Robb_K wrote:

Ze Carioca has de veloped quite a lot, over the years since introduced in the early 1940s.  The Brasilians have invented a lot of supporting characters of their own (which is nice).  But, since the 1980s, they have modernised the characters (including Jose) (dress and mannerisms) so much, that the strip is hardly recognisable.  I much prefer the old US strip, and the '80s Dutch stories.

Grote griebels!  Ik ben Nederlander weer!

I never saw the old strip (darn it), but I know what you mean.  Ze's pretty cute in his little outfit, I think; but it's still odd to see him dressed like that.  I really loved him best as he looked in "Saludos Amigos" and "Three Caballeros". (And what's with the pants on that dude? He's a BIRD, for crying out loud!  lol )

Btw, I apologize if this was off-topic.  Maybe we should start a "Tio Patinhas" thread. wink


Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline

 

#57 2008-06-10 08:03

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School
From: LosAngelesUSA/Muenchen,Germany
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 2081

Netherlands NLD
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

LadyQuackly wrote:

Roger North wrote:

Romano Scarpa is dead.  I don't know who does the Tio Patinhas in Brazil but I'm sure he might do a good job.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that. Dang, I'll miss him. olivier2/sad 

I tried to get some information about Tio Patinhas, but the comics were made up of assorted cartoonists
(including Rosa and Barks), so I guess it's not by any one person.  I imagine there's still some good artists out there, though. smile

There are several Brasilian artists, too.  You can look them up on COA, at: www.inducks.org


Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

Offline

 

#58 2008-06-10 15:09

Roger North
Member
Registered: 2007-07-27
Posts: 2255

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Thanks for the info Robb.

Offline

 

#59 2008-06-10 17:24

Sigvald
Donaldist
From: Stavanger, Norway
Registered: 2007-03-21
Posts: 112

Norway NOR
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Lars Jensen wrote:

Dean Rekich wrote:

Perhaps Lars or someone else can answer this question:  Does anyone know *why* Don has retired?  I myself can think of several possibilities: eye problems, wanting to spend more time with his wife, running out of story ideas, etc., etc.  I am just curious if Don has given a specific reason why.

During the interview, Don said: "One of the reasons is..." And now you're gonna hate me, because I'm not sure I remember what that reason was, but I *think* it was because he wanted to spend more time with his wife.

I was at KOMIKS too and watched that interview. Don Rosa came up with several reasons why he has stopped doing new stories:

a)
His vision has became worse and worse the last 5-10 years. Thus it has become more and more demanding for him to draw such tiny and detailed art as seen in his stories. I have met him several times since 2001, but this last time is the only time that his vision-trouble has been obvious.

b)
When he sold a part of his comics collection a few years ago, he ended up earning more money in 6 months than he earned during 6 years doing stories for Egmont. The last few years he has also learned that his stories are now being republished over and over again making more profit for the publishers.

c)
Finally, he has had enough of the way many publishers treats him. In the interview he in particular mentioned the publishers in Brazil and Greece, where (according to him) they keeps using his name in order in to increase the sales of their products. Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co. These publishers are actually treating his bonus-material as if it was Disney's material like his stories.

For the most recent Rosa-book in the Hall of Fame series (book 6) Don Rosa specially asked Egmont to include a © Don Rosa in start of the book. This line however only appeared in the Norwegian edition. It is missing in both the Danish and the Swedish editions. During the KOMIKS both the Danes and the Swedes made it very clear though, that they would never have removed that line of text by them selves. So somehow the central editorial office for the HOF series, in Norway seems to have forgotten to distribute that information to the other publishers.

Don Rosa is also disappointed that so far, the extra art he has made for the multi-part versions of his long stories, have not been included in the HOF series. Egmont claims that the readers don't want it, but it seems that Rosa has got another impression about that matter, and as always he is the one who ends up being asked by many fans about why that art is missing in the HOF-series, etc. Anyway he thinks that that art should have been included in order to provide a complete presentation of his work – as was originally said to be the intention of the Rosa-books in the HOF-series.

When asked he said he expects that the extra art will be included in Gemstone's "Don Rosa Library". He was actually much more worried about weather Gemstone would manage to stay in business in the future.

So, shortly said, besides having experienced increasing problems with his vision, Don Rosa has lost the inspiration needed to do more stories.

http://duckman.pettho.com/komiks01.jpg
Don Rosa does some signing at the KOMIKS in Copenhagen.

http://duckman.pettho.com/komiks03.jpg
Don Rosa and me.

http://duckman.pettho.com/komiks05.jpg
Don Rosa and his editor at Gladstone and Egmont, Byron Erickson.

http://duckman.pettho.com/komiks09.jpg
Don Rosa's eye-trouble is now obvious.


Visit The D.U.C.K.man:
http://duckman.pettho.com/

Offline

 

#60 2008-06-10 18:39

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Sigvald wrote:

I was at KOMIKS too and watched that interview. Don Rosa came up with several reasons why he has stopped doing new stories:
a) His vision has became worse and worse the last 5-10 years. Thus it has become more and more demanding for him to draw such tiny and detailed art as seen in his stories. I have met him several times since 2001, but this last time is the only time that his vision-trouble has been obvious.

b) When he sold a part of his comics collection a few years ago, he ended up earning more money in 6 months than he earned during 6 years doing stories for Egmont. The last few years he has also learned that his stories are now being republished over and over again making more profit for the publishers.

c) Finally, he has had enough of the way many publishers treats him. In the interview he in particular mentioned the publishers in Brazil and Greece, where (according to him) they keeps using his name in order in to increase the sales of their products. Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co. These publishers are actually treating his bonus-material as if it was Disney's material like his stories.

Thanks for the informative post, Sigvald!

a) I can certainly understand how Don's vision problems would be a serious setback to writing/drawing stories. I wish him the best possible vision that modern science can muster.

b) It's unfortunate that Don doesn't make enough from his stories to warrant his time and volume of work. This is strictly a matter for Don and his family and no one has any right to comment here.

c) I know that Don has had numerous, ongoing troubles with the copyright issue since his early days with Disney. I guess I need to be educated on copyright etiquette. The business nuances of this matter have always been hard for me to understand. I didn't know that publishers (Greece and Brazil) must get Don Rosa's permission in order to print his name in their comics. Actually I don't find that reasonable, unless I misunderstood Sigvald's statement. Do other artists need to provide approval for a pub. to print his name in an advertisement or article? I suppose it depends on the individual's contract with a publisher?

I don't know anything about the Hall of Fame books so I cannot comment there.

Offline

 

#61 2008-06-10 19:54

Olivier
Administrator
From: Paris, France
Registered: 2007-03-19
Posts: 404

France FRA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Thanks for the report & the pictures, Sigvlad!
smile


Sigvald wrote:

So, shortly said, besides having experienced increasing problems with his vision, Don Rosa has lost the inspiration needed to do more stories.

Rather than a loss of "inspiration" in the poetic sense, I think it's rather (understandable) frustration with the system and ultimate weariness.



Morequack wrote:

Sigvald wrote:

c) Finally, he has had enough of the way many publishers treats him. In the interview he in particular mentioned the publishers in Brazil and Greece, where (according to him) they keeps using his name in order in to increase the sales of their products. Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co.

c) [...] I didn't know that publishers (Greece and Brazil) must get Don Rosa's permission in order to print his name in their comics. Actually I don't find that reasonable, unless I misunderstood Sigvald's statement. Do other artists need to provide approval for a pub. to print his name in an advertisement or article? I suppose it depends on the individual's contract with a publisher?

I think it's rather a cynical observation, namely, that not only do Disney artists not get paid royalties when his material is used in a comic, because he does not own the characters, but if they were, that share would be even bigger in the case of the big names.

Additionally, Don is lamenting the fact that what he does own is being re-used freely, without paying him a cent, as it is assimilated to Disney material, either because it is indeed related to it (notes), or because it is considered as added bonus to Disney material, and therefore as Disney material (a syllogism).

sad

Offline

 

#62 2008-06-10 20:21

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Olivier wrote:

Morequack wrote:

Sigvald wrote:

c) Finally, he has had enough of the way many publishers treats him. In the interview he in particular mentioned the publishers in Brazil and Greece, where (according to him) they keeps using his name in order in to increase the sales of their products. Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co.

c) [...] I didn't know that publishers (Greece and Brazil) must get Don Rosa's permission in order to print his name in their comics. Actually I don't find that reasonable, unless I misunderstood Sigvald's statement. Do other artists need to provide approval for a pub. to print his name in an advertisement or article? I suppose it depends on the individual's contract with a publisher?

I think it's rather a cynical observation, namely, that not only do Disney artists not get paid royalties when his material is used in a comic, because he does not own the characters, but if they were, that share would be even bigger in the case of the big names.

Additionally, Don is lamenting the fact that what he does own is being re-used freely, without paying him a cent, as it is assimilated to Disney material, either because it is indeed related to it (notes), or because it is considered as added bonus to Disney material, and therefore as Disney material (a syllogism).

sad

.... I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. Can you rephrase in more simple terms? Thanks.

(And whose observation are you referring to as cynical?)

Offline

 

#63 2008-06-10 23:01

cacou
Administrator
From: Paris, France
Registered: 2007-03-18
Posts: 515

France FRA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

I've heard Don Rosa trade-marked the name "Don Rosa".

That's a way (or that was a way) for him to complain about using his name on books cover. He can not complain about copyright violation as his Disney work is owned by Disney.

Offline

 

#64 2008-06-10 23:15

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

cacou wrote:

I've heard Don Rosa trade-marked the name "Don Rosa".

That's a way (or that was a way) for him to complain about using his name on books cover. He can not complain about copyright violation as his Disney work is owned by Disney.

So, if a newspaper or magazine reported or wrote an editorial about Don Rosa, would they be in violation of a © law? That would be ridiculous. How can Don Rosa "enforce" such a ©?

Offline

 

#65 2008-06-10 23:42

cacou
Administrator
From: Paris, France
Registered: 2007-03-18
Posts: 515

France FRA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

I think this was when his name is used as an argument for selling more copies, e.g. Don Rosa libraries, where his name is the main title of a series of books and is prominently shown on the covers.

I know Hachette's Picsou received legal complaints from Don Rosa's lawyers at one point.

Offline

 

#66 2008-06-11 00:28

timoro
Member
From: Finland
Registered: 2007-11-01
Posts: 227

European Union EU
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Thanks, Sigvald for very detailed info!

I think Don is mostly annoyed by this part of the copyright issue:

Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co.

So even if his duck comics are © Disney, all the other extra stuff is definitely © Don Rosa, quite simple.

Timo

Offline

 

#67 2008-06-11 02:52

LadyQuackly
Member
From: Southern Cali
Registered: 2008-04-02
Posts: 358

United States USA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Robb_K wrote:

LadyQuackly wrote:

Roger North wrote:

Romano Scarpa is dead.  I don't know who does the Tio Patinhas in Brazil but I'm sure he might do a good job.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that. Dang, I'll miss him. olivier2/sad 

I tried to get some information about Tio Patinhas, but the comics were made up of assorted cartoonists
(including Rosa and Barks), so I guess it's not by any one person.  I imagine there's still some good artists out there, though. smile

There are several Brasilian artists, too.  You can look them up on COA, at: www.inducks.org

Thank you much! olivier2/happy  They've got lots of good stuff on that site, too. smile


Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline

 

#68 2008-06-11 13:03

Roger North
Member
Registered: 2007-07-27
Posts: 2255

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

So the rumor is true Don Rosa is retiring.

Offline

 

#69 2008-06-11 13:34

Olivier
Administrator
From: Paris, France
Registered: 2007-03-19
Posts: 404

France FRA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Morequack wrote:

.... I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. Can you rephrase in more simple terms? Thanks.
(And whose observation are you referring to as cynical?)

And I'm sorry I was not any help.
François & Timo's messages since then have made things clearer and even added important information, so I guess I need not add anything-- except that I was thinking of Don Rosa; I understand his mix of frustration, bitterness and cynicism, which many aother authors/artists (Disney or not) must have shared over the years.

Offline

 

#70 2008-06-11 15:51

JeffT
Member
Registered: 2008-03-22
Posts: 112

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Sigvald wrote:

When asked he said he expects that the extra art will be included in Gemstone's "Don Rosa Library". He was actually much more worried about weather Gemstone would manage to stay in business in the future.

All due sympathy to Don Rosa and his eye problems - and I certainly wish him all the best and that we could look forward to more of his work down the road - the idea of Gemstone closing down is far more disturbing to me.  Their books are the only regular monthlies I'm still buying.  It's a highlight for me and my kids to read together whenever they come out.

Offline

 

#71 2008-06-11 17:13

Mcduck_Enterprises
Member
Registered: 2008-04-01
Posts: 247

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

I don't think there is anything to fear as far as Gemstone shutting down. As discussed in previous threads, they have much more in store for the future. The price may rise, the distribution may wane, but they'll keep on going....Regardless, with Disney starting Kingdom Comics as so many other potential bidders out there, Uncle Scrooge and WDC&S will probably be around for a long, long time regardless of who's brand is on the cover. Just think, Uncle Scrooge has been under 6 different brands in the USA since debut! (all in coinciding issue #'s might I add...smile) I think Disney Comics fans will be okay in the long run.


"Here I sit in this big lonely dump, waiting for Christmas to pass! Bah! That silly season when everybody loves everybody else! A Curse on it! Me - I'm different! Everybody hates me, and I hate everybody!" - Christmas on Bear Mountain (1947)

Offline

 

#72 2008-06-11 18:06

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Mcduck_Enterprises wrote:

I don't think there is anything to fear as far as Gemstone shutting down. As discussed in previous threads, they have much more in store for the future. The price may rise, the distribution may wane, but they'll keep on going....Regardless, with Disney starting Kingdom Comics as so many other potential bidders out there, Uncle Scrooge and WDC&S will probably be around for a long, long time regardless of who's brand is on the cover. Just think, Uncle Scrooge has been under 6 different brands in the USA since debut! (all in coinciding issue #'s might I add...smile) I think Disney Comics fans will be okay in the long run.

I certainly hope you're right. However, business is business—and ultimately, Gemstone Publishing is a business—and in business anything can happen at any time and often does. As you recall Disney comics did "shut down" from 1984-1986 and again from 1999-2003. Could happen again. With the digital world upon us to stay, less and less people are reading, particularly the younger generation.

Offline

 

#73 2008-06-11 19:29

LadyQuackly
Member
From: Southern Cali
Registered: 2008-04-02
Posts: 358

United States USA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Sigvald wrote:

I was at KOMIKS too and watched that interview. Don Rosa came up with several reasons why he has stopped doing new stories:

a)
His vision has became worse and worse the last 5-10 years. Thus it has become more and more demanding for him to draw such tiny and detailed art as seen in his stories. I have met him several times since 2001, but this last time is the only time that his vision-trouble has been obvious.

b)
When he sold a part of his comics collection a few years ago, he ended up earning more money in 6 months than he earned during 6 years doing stories for Egmont. The last few years he has also learned that his stories are now being republished over and over again making more profit for the publishers.

c)
Finally, he has had enough of the way many publishers treats him. In the interview he in particular mentioned the publishers in Brazil and Greece, where (according to him) they keeps using his name in order in to increase the sales of their products. Also some non-Egmont publishers are translating all extra-material written by him for the Hall of Fame books, even though the texts, the illustrations from The Pertwillaby Papers and Don's childhood material is © Don Rosa *not* © Disney Co. These publishers are actually treating his bonus-material as if it was Disney's material like his stories.

For the most recent Rosa-book in the Hall of Fame series (book 6) Don Rosa specially asked Egmont to include a © Don Rosa in start of the book. This line however only appeared in the Norwegian edition. It is missing in both the Danish and the Swedish editions. During the KOMIKS both the Danes and the Swedes made it very clear though, that they would never have removed that line of text by them selves. So somehow the central editorial office for the HOF series, in Norway seems to have forgotten to distribute that information to the other publishers.

Don Rosa is also disappointed that so far, the extra art he has made for the multi-part versions of his long stories, have not been included in the HOF series. Egmont claims that the readers don't want it, but it seems that Rosa has got another impression about that matter, and as always he is the one who ends up being asked by many fans about why that art is missing in the HOF-series, etc. Anyway he thinks that that art should have been included in order to provide a complete presentation of his work – as was originally said to be the intention of the Rosa-books in the HOF-series.

When asked he said he expects that the extra art will be included in Gemstone's "Don Rosa Library". He was actually much more worried about weather Gemstone would manage to stay in business in the future.

So, shortly said, besides having experienced increasing problems with his vision, Don Rosa has lost the inspiration needed to do more stories.

The eye "thing" alone would be reason enough for Rosa to throw in the towel, but I don't like the way they're treating him.  What I know of copyright issues would fill up a thimble; but Disney "property"
or not, Rosa WAS the author of these stories and as such, deserved better than he apparently got.

I must confess, I was annoyed at Egmont anyway because of his attitude about Ludwig von Drake (but then, as a devout Von Drake fan I'm biased anyway. roll ).  I also felt he was limiting Rosa's creativity far too much.  But I'd hate to think Rosa's been taken for granted (and maybe taken to the
cleaners) on top of everything else. But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong. *shrugs*


Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline

 

#74 2008-06-11 20:26

Roger North
Member
Registered: 2007-07-27
Posts: 2255

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

I'm sure there could be lots of different reasons for Don Rosa's retirement. I sent him an E-mail wishing him good luck on his retirement.

Offline

 

#75 2008-06-11 20:37

Morequack
Member
Registered: 2007-03-30
Posts: 550

United States USA

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Roger North wrote:

I'm sure there could be lots of different reasons for Don Rosa's retirement. I sent him an E-mail wishing him good luck on his retirement.

Is his e-mail publicly available?

Offline

 

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool


Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).