You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-29 02:25

Robb_K
Barksist - Literal School

United States USA
Website

Re: Don Rosa's Detached Retina Update

Sigvald wrote:

Don's eyes are no so well that he's coming to Copenhagen this weekend. Like other members of the Danish Donaldist Society I look very much forward to meet him. He says that his vision is now well enough ...to sign autographs and try doing scribbles.

Well, that's a little good news.  Maybe they'll continue improving.

Hou nou, bruin kou.... (of is dat "koe")?

#27 2008-05-29 16:54

Sigvald
Donaldist

Norway NOR
Website

The rumours at the DDF(R)-forum says that "Don has landed (in Denmark)".

Visit The D.U.C.K.man:
http://duckman.pettho.com/

#28 2008-05-29 20:36

Olivier
Administrator

France FRA
Website

That's swell! This means there have been no complications.

#29 2008-05-30 13:43

Roger North

United States USA

I'm glad that Don Rosa's eyes are feeling better. Maybe he'll be able to write some new comic book stories.

#30 2008-05-30 20:27

Morequack

United States USA

Roger North wrote:

I'm glad that Don Rosa's eyes are feeling better. Maybe he'll be able to write some new comic book stories.

From your keyboard to Don's ear.

#31 2008-05-31 18:13

Roger North

United States USA

I don't know what that means Morequack but thank you.

#32 2008-06-02 05:47

Hedberg

Denmark DNK

Don's okay...

He signed and made drawings and seemed to be "the Black Hole" of Komics.dk.  The queue was enormous the first two days - they had to sign out coloured/numbered notes instead of the line, to make space for the other participants!

I greeted him and gave him my regards (on behalf of you) and he looked swell and took care of everyone who came to him...
Some great days for us, kids...

#33 2008-06-02 13:23

Olivier
Administrator

France FRA
Website

Thanks, Hedberg!
smile

#34 2008-06-02 15:14

Morequack

United States USA

Roger North wrote:

I don't know what that means Morequack but thank you.

"From your keyboard to Don's ear" is a variation of the popular saying, "from your lips to God's ear," which means here's hoping that God hears your prayer and makes it happen.

#35 2008-06-02 20:38

Roger North

United States USA

Thank you Morequack. I hope so too.

#36 2008-06-02 21:33

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

At the Don Rosa interview on Saturday, Don stated he would never make another story. He seemed firm in his decision.

#37 2008-06-02 22:48

Morequack

United States USA

Yes, doesn't surprise me. Sad to hear. I wonder if the interview is or will become available somehere...

#38 2008-06-03 01:57

Dean Rekich

United States USA

Perhaps Lars or someone else can answer this question:  Does anyone know *why* Don has retired?  I myself can think of several possibilities: eye problems, wanting to spend more time with his wife, running out of story ideas, etc., etc.  I am just curious if Don has given a specific reason why.

While I and many other fans will miss Don's stories, I would rather focus on all the stories Don *did* create and be thankful for those.  Plus I wish him a very happy retirement!

#39 2008-06-03 02:56

Lars Jensen

Denmark DNK

Dean Rekich wrote:

Perhaps Lars or someone else can answer this question:  Does anyone know *why* Don has retired?  I myself can think of several possibilities: eye problems, wanting to spend more time with his wife, running out of story ideas, etc., etc.  I am just curious if Don has given a specific reason why.

During the interview, Don said: "One of the reasons is..." And now you're gonna hate me, because I'm not sure I remember what that reason was, but I *think* it was because he wanted to spend more time with his wife.

#40 2008-06-03 11:45

Olivier
Administrator

France FRA
Website

We hate you, Lars; this is reason enough, indeed.

wink

#41 2008-06-03 17:40

LadyQuackly

United States USA
Website

Lars Jensen wrote:

Dean Rekich wrote:

During the interview, Don said: "One of the reasons is..." And now you're gonna hate me, because I'm not sure I remember what that reason was, but I *think* it was because he wanted to spend more time with his wife.

I don't hate ya, Lars! wink  But I sure hate the news that Don won't be doing anymore stories.
Though I can understand his need to spend more time with family and all that; I imagine his eye problems made him feel it was just time to hang it up.

What with LTo$ and so many other luverly stories under his belt, Rosa definitely deserves a rest
and quality time.  But if I may be just a little "selfish": for Rosa devotees who've been eagerly waiting
for updates on the Duck/McDuck kin and other new stories, this just HURTS. olivier2/sad

Wha daur meddle wi' me?

#42 2008-06-03 17:49

MS

Poland POL
Website

I am one of users of Polish forum DisneyPolska (www.disneypolska.jor.pl). Every week we ask Mr. Grzegorz Rutke (editor-in-chief of our weekly "Kaczor Donald") some questions about the magazine, and their plans. We asked him "Is it true, that Don Rosa won't draw a story?", and he checked it in Denmark and...

It's a rumour. Don Rosa doesn't want to confirm - nor deny.

#43 2008-06-03 18:05

Morequack

United States USA

MS wrote:

I am one of users of Polish forum DisneyPolska (www.disneypolska.jor.pl). Every week we ask Mr. Grzegorz Rutke (editor-in-chief of our weekly "Kaczor Donald") some questions about the magazine, and their plans. We asked him "Is it true, that Don Rosa won't draw a story?", and he checked it in Denmark and...

It's a rumour. Don Rosa doesn't want to confirm - nor deny.

According to Lars (Post #36), Don Rosa has emphatically stated very recently that he will no longer write/draw stories.

#44 2008-06-04 00:02

Roger North

United States USA

I can't picture Don Rosa not doing any more stories but everyone has to retire at sometime. He has had a good run though.  He's doing Duck Stories since 1987 just a few months before I started collecting Disney Comics.

#45 2008-06-08 11:27

Argonaut

Canada CAN

My first post here, hello everyone! I'm a DCML vet, but I've pretty much been only lurking since Gladstone went under. Was rather active there in the mid-90s though.

Just wanted to say Don's retirement comes as sad news to be sure, but I think he's more than earned it. I wish him nothing but the best. His stories are a huge part of who I am and I feel privileged to have been able to grow up on his (and Barks') work. smile

And to be honest, I had a feeling "Prisoner of White Agony Creek" was his last hurrah when I was reading it. Anyone else feel that way?

#46 2008-06-08 16:29

Roger North

United States USA

I guess it is true that Don Rosa is retiring. Although it would be weird to imagine him not doing any more stories.  I hope a third generation Duck artist would be as good as writing the Duck stories as Don Rosa once did and Carl Barks before him.

#47 2008-06-08 16:56

LadyQuackly

United States USA
Website

Argonaut wrote:

My first post here, hello everyone! I'm a DCML vet, but I've pretty much been only lurking since Gladstone went under. Was rather active there in the mid-90s though.

Just wanted to say Don's retirement comes as sad news to be sure, but I think he's more than earned it. I wish him nothing but the best. His stories are a huge part of who I am and I feel privileged to have been able to grow up on his (and Barks') work. smile

And to be honest, I had a feeling "Prisoner of White Agony Creek" was his last hurrah when I was reading it. Anyone else feel that way?

To be honest, I hadn't..."Dream of a Lifetime" might have given a clue, though, or "A Little Something Special". 

I've truly come to appreciate Don Rosa's works ever since "LTo$".  I've discovered them late in life, but thank God for them. olivier2/happy

Wha daur meddle wi' me?

#48 2008-06-08 16:57

LadyQuackly

United States USA
Website

Roger North wrote:

I guess it is true that Don Rosa is retiring. Although it would be weird to imagine him not doing any more stories.  I hope a third generation Duck artist would be as good as writing the Duck stories as Don Rosa once did and Carl Barks before him.

Romano Scarpa does a pretty good job.  Whoever does "Tio Patinhas" in Brazil might also fill the bill (no pun intended! olivier2/goofy ).

Wha daur meddle wi' me?

#49 2008-06-08 22:42

Roger North

United States USA

Romano Scarpa is dead.  I don't know who does the Tio Patinhas in Brazil but I'm sure he might do a good job.

#50 2008-06-09 02:32

LadyQuackly

United States USA
Website

Roger North wrote:

Romano Scarpa is dead.  I don't know who does the Tio Patinhas in Brazil but I'm sure he might do a good job.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that. Dang, I'll miss him. olivier2/sad 

I tried to get some information about Tio Patinhas, but the comics were made up of assorted cartoonists
(including Rosa and Barks), so I guess it's not by any one person.  I imagine there's still some good artists out there, though. smile

Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Board footer

Inducks database (COA)
IRC at irc.inducks.org:6667, channel #dcml
Upload tool

Disney comics forums by country -
Quadrinhos Disney (Brazil),   DDF(R) (Denmark),   kvaak.fi (Finland),   Picsouman (France),   comicforum.de (Germany),   Greek comics,    the DCML (in English),   Papersera (Italy),   Kvakk (Norway),   DisneyPolska! (Poland),   La T.I.A.com (Spain),   Ankism (Sweden).